Thread: Anyone know what kind of congas these are?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone know what kind of congas these are?

Hello All,
    Newbie here, trying to find some decent congas to practice on and come across these. The owner doesn't know the name of the brand only that they were made in la Republica Dominicana. I know there are some official congeros on here that could maybe help me out identifiying these. Thanks!

(Medina, sorry but ebay links are not permitted within DrumChat)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone know what kind of congas these are?

Leedy, thanks man, yeah those are the ones i was referring to. When the seller mentioned they were made in R.D, I figured they were made by Carribean Rythms, I just wanted to make sure they weren't some kind of knock off or anything. Chevere, thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

The earthquake took them out of business? But I thought they were made in R.D. I was in R.D. when the earthquake happened, and I hardly felt it. I had thought they went out of business awhile ago. So just went out of business, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info Leedy.

User Info Menu

yeah, that is near the border, muchas gracias por la informacion y los fotos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    Medina those drum that you are talking about I saw them on ebay they are from a company call Caribbean Rhythms no longer being made. good for a beginner the hard ware very weak must change they came with good skins and shells not bad but good for practice 0k.You are Lucky that I saw drums you can not post links to ebay or any commercial websites here.can ask for info place photos nothing linked to any commercial site
    I agree w/ Leedy...I used to see those drums in store a while. The thing to beware re: those drums...is they are made for Local drummers in Dom. Rep. more than our more quality demanding market. The drum sound edges are not well done, The hardwares are basic & crude...and prone to bending & rusting. The shells are ( if you notice all the dark stains & sometimes old nail holes ) actualy recycled from the wood dunage of of cargo ships, or other sources but not select grade woods for the purpose of drums . The Dom. Rep. is a poor country with limited resources and few natural trees that are sufficent species for drums & are probably not easy to properly cut, season, & select for drums...since the land owners certaily will have better comercial option for thier lumber. These drums...are good for practice & for restoration upgrades ( but dont put too many new holes in them ! I'd redo the drums sound edges, find stronger tunning hardwares & add rubber hose to the bottoms & enjoy them for years w/o worrying about cosmetic issues. If they crack...I'd glue them up & use a banding systm like the warehouses use w/ a rachet tool & locking buckles. Easy & quick ! Crude...but effective & in keeping w/ the street look of these drums Funky is Cool !