Thread: Tuning for natural resonance

User Info Menu

Default Tuning for natural resonance

Just wanted to pass on a quickish guide to tuning drums the way I do. try it out, see if you like it. :D

ok so heres my understanding of drums.

Each drum has its own natural tone unique to itself. 2 14X8 toms will sound different if tuned to thier natural tone. That natural tone, I have found, tends to be the best feeling and most satisfying way to tune dums.

Kick drum: get all the lugs just finger tight and place your and in the center of the batter head. tune each lug until you barely pull all the wrinkles out. Then pick a lug and start by tapping about an inch inward from the edge of the drum head. turn the drum key slowly loosening and tightening until you find the loudest and most focused harmonic response to your taps. Just go back and forth slowly until you find it, its there... Then move to the lug opposite and repeat. Complete your star pattern around the drum, then fine tune by going through the process again, just barely turning for tonal changes.

[you are typically no more than one full turn (360 degrees is one turn) of the drum key when you get out the wrinkles.]

Do the same on the resonator. If you are using an emad set of heads or similar, you will not need any internal muffling, your kick will sound super deep, tight (not floppy), and best of all loud.

This process applies to all the toms as well. But when tuning one side, try to put the other side on a pillow or something to prevent the opposing head from vibrating. Try it out and really take your time. it usually takes me about 2 hours to really tune my kit if im putting on new heads. But they never get more than a quarter turn out of tune throughout their lifespan.

If you want a cool effect on the toms, once you have completed the tuning process, set up the kit and choose one lug on each tom. loosen it about 3/4 turn and listen for a really nice pitch bend in the resonance. It bends the pitch downward and really makes for a cool and dynamic change in your kit.
    Last edited by drummermike58; 02-17-2010 at 07:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning for natural resonance

I will try this on my kick to see what results I can get. Thanks for the tip.

The detuning one tom lug is an old method that I have gotten away from as it can dry out the sound a bit, but form many it works great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummermike58 View Post
    Just wanted to pass on a quickish guide to tuning drums the way I do. try it out, see if you like it. :D

ok so heres my understanding of drums.

Each drum has its own natural tone unique to itself. 2 14X8 toms will sound different if tuned to thier natural tone. That natural tone, I have found, tends to be the best feeling and most satisfying way to tune dums.

Kick drum: get all the lugs just finger tight and place your and in the center of the batter head. tune each lug until you barely pull all the wrinkles out. Then pick a lug and start by tapping about an inch inward from the edge of the drum head. turn the drum key slowly loosening and tightening until you find the loudest and most focused harmonic response to your taps. Just go back and forth slowly until you find it, its there... Then move to the lug opposite and repeat. Complete your star pattern around the drum, then fine tune by going through the process again, just barely turning for tonal changes.

[you are typically no more than one full turn (360 degrees is one turn) of the drum key when you get out the wrinkles.]

Do the same on the resonator. If you are using an emad set of heads or similar, you will not need any internal muffling, your kick will sound super deep, tight (not floppy), and best of all loud.

This process applies to all the toms as well. But when tuning one side, try to put the other side on a pillow or something to prevent the opposing head from vibrating. Try it out and really take your time. it usually takes me about 2 hours to really tune my kit if im putting on new heads. But they never get more than a quarter turn out of tune throughout their lifespan.

If you want a cool effect on the toms, once you have completed the tuning process, set up the kit and choose one lug on each tom. loosen it about 3/4 turn and listen for a really nice pitch bend in the resonance. It bends the pitch downward and really makes for a cool and dynamic change in your kit.
    Bob Gatzen videos on YT show this technique quite thoroughly.

User Info Menu

Agree with Greenmonster. Watch the Bob Gatzen vids on youtube. That man is a tuning genius.

User Info Menu

I know there may be a very tonally desired sound from the bass drum as many describe to be in that range just above the wrinkle stage. I understand this , if done correctly, to produce a nice low pitched toned with decent attack and punch if dampened just right. I agree with this totally, and I will add that the beater feels SO perfect up against a loser batter head, agreed ? Aside from this almost perfectly tuned drum I wish to steer towards something I experienced by just " messing around " with the tuning of my resonant ( solid ) head. I started from a nice feel on the batter head which consisted of a loser tuning of course for that nice absorbent feel of the beater into the bater head but was lacking VOLUME. Thats right, I had the punch with the emad2 on it, I had the attack for sure, and I probably had a nice low pitch although I couldn't really hear its presence. I started to play around the floor toms and even rack toms by doing triplets and quads with the combination of kick and tom ( excuse my lack of terminology for this ) and found the bass drum to be lost in the mix as far as volume, presence. Unhappy with this sound I started to play around with the tuning of the solid reso head and decided I could only go one direction, UP.. I did just that. II would apply a 1,8 turn at each lug and play, then again adding an 1/8 turn at each lug then play. Eventually I hit a spot which is best described with the reso ( solid ) so tight that struck by itself would sound like a 12inch tom rather than a 22 inch kick drum, but when I played it from the drivers seat WOW !!!!!!!!! all of a sudden the kick drum was LOUD with incredible POWER and THUNDER.. It was like someone flipped the switch and powered up the mics. This did add a little undesired tension to the bater head i guess because of the increase in compression within the drum so that was an issue I would have to get used to BUT the sound of the drum out front was horribly high in pitch and totally undesirable. My question is, once hearing that incredible volume and thunder of the kick drum, how does one prefer to tune back down to just above wrinkle and be happy with little volume and no thunder,canon of a sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    I know there may be a very tonally desired sound from the bass drum as many describe to be in that range just above the wrinkle stage. I understand this , if done correctly, to produce a nice low pitched toned with decent attack and punch if dampened just right. I agree with this totally, and I will add that the beater feels SO perfect up against a loser batter head, agreed ? Aside from this almost perfectly tuned drum I wish to steer towards something I experienced by just " messing around " with the tuning of my resonant ( solid ) head. I started from a nice feel on the batter head which consisted of a loser tuning of course for that nice absorbent feel of the beater into the bater head but was lacking VOLUME. Thats right, I had the punch with the emad2 on it, I had the attack for sure, and I probably had a nice low pitch although I couldn't really hear its presence. I started to play around the floor toms and even rack toms by doing triplets and quads with the combination of kick and tom ( excuse my lack of terminology for this ) and found the bass drum to be lost in the mix as far as volume, presence. Unhappy with this sound I started to play around with the tuning of the solid reso head and decided I could only go one direction, UP.. I did just that. II would apply a 1,8 turn at each lug and play, then again adding an 1/8 turn at each lug then play. Eventually I hit a spot which is best described with the reso ( solid ) so tight that struck by itself would sound like a 12inch tom rather than a 22 inch kick drum, but when I played it from the drivers seat WOW !!!!!!!!! all of a sudden the kick drum was LOUD with incredible POWER and THUNDER.. It was like someone flipped the switch and powered up the mics. This did add a little undesired tension to the bater head i guess because of the increase in compression within the drum so that was an issue I would have to get used to BUT the sound of the drum out front was horribly high in pitch and totally undesirable. My question is, once hearing that incredible volume and thunder of the kick drum, how does one prefer to tune back down to just above wrinkle and be happy with little volume and no thunder,canon of a sound.
    what?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

This reminds me of Russ's old posts!
    Matt

User Info Menu

what is a "loser tuning" and a "bater head"?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Tough room...

User Info Menu

its a type error you shmuck..

User Info Menu

I know you ya have steel animal, but it will take a 25 pound sledge hammer to crack that rock.
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...

User Info Menu

Guys, let's be civil here. Animal is a musician who is relatively new to drumming, and is excited about finding something. We've all been there, and sometimes it's hard to express it to others. Animal has been searching for "his sound" for a while now, and asking questions to help him get there. Let's respect the search, and congratulate his progress.

Animal, the answer to your question is that if you found the sound that you love, stay with it. The great part about tuning drums is that it's not about right and wrong; it's about finding what sounds good to your ears. Later on, it can also be about sound engineers and what they can do with your sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Pastor Bob that was a very mature and respectful comment you left. Thank you for shedding the light and keeping my efforts in the scope of things. You are a very wise man and I thank you for your opinion. God bless you sir.

Dan

User Info Menu

BUT the sound of the drum out front was horribly high in pitch and totally undesirable.
    That's a problem. I suppose if you just play by yourself in your house, all that matters is the sound and feel when sitting at the kit. But when playing to an audience, even just your bandmates, you have to keep in mind the difference between how the drums sound to you and how they sound to the audience. It can be quite different.

User Info Menu

Redbeard, This is very true. I drive my wife crazy when I ask her to sit behind my kit and starting hitting toms and the bass. It's nice to hear how they sound when your not sitting behind them. Animal, I just started playing a year and a half ago so I know what you mean. I'm sure there are times when guys are thinking " what is this guy talking about ", it's all a learning process.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Guys, let's be civil here. Animal is a musician who is relatively new to drumming, and is excited about finding something. We've all been there, and sometimes it's hard to express it to others. Animal has been searching for "his sound" for a while now, and asking questions to help him get there. Let's respect the search, and congratulate his progress.

Animal, the answer to your question is that if you found the sound that you love, stay with it. The great part about tuning drums is that it's not about right and wrong; it's about finding what sounds good to your ears. Later on, it can also be about sound engineers and what they can do with your sound.
    great reply PB

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

yeah, with a musical background as a guitar player and fellow band mate, its easy to want to jump to the bottom line with tuning. I am learning to settle down, keep focus, and start from scratch and patiently develop an ear and feel for tuning. Trial and error is what I am thinking.

Larrysperf Guest

Ditto

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

Great answer and Animal its all a journey sometimes fun and has the wow facter . Other times can be very frustrating but dont give up