Thread: Trigger/pad interchangeability?

User Info Menu

Default Trigger/pad interchangeability?

Are most e-drum pads and cymbals interchangeable?

For example, could Pintech cymbals be used with Yamaha or Roland kits, or Roland triggers be used with Yamaha and vice-versa?

I know that dual- and triple-zone triggers need the appropriate inputs to work correctly, but other than that, are there certain brands that just don't work with each other?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trigger/pad interchangeability?

Quote Originally Posted by LDS View Post
    Are most e-drum pads and cymbals interchangeable?

For example, could Pintech cymbals be used with Yamaha or Roland kits, or Roland triggers be used with Yamaha and vice-versa?

I know that dual- and triple-zone triggers need the appropriate inputs to work correctly, but other than that, are there certain brands that just don't work with each other?
    I think for drum pads Roland and Yamaha work best with their own make of modules (at least withouthout a degree of tweaking), but cymbals are most certainly interchangeable - apart from a CY5 and CY12, the rest of my cymbals are Yamaha as they're so much cheaper than Roland's and at least as good. They're the same dual-zone design, and the only thing to bear in mind is that for the PCY150 ride you don't get the three zones that Roland have on the CY15 - essentially you get bell and bow, with the bell sound on the edge as well rather than a dedicated edge sound, but that's only an issue if you also use the ride as a crash (which I don't). Otherwise, mix and match cymbals with confidence.
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX