Thread: number of people

User Info Menu

Exclamation number of people

how many people do you think is the perfect number for a rock,metal,jazz or whatever band?
    Foiled- to be cut off at the knees, to obscure or confuse.

User Info Menu

I don't think there is a "perfect" number for anything. I mean, some bands can survive on being a 2 piece, like The White Stripes *shudder* and some bands need more, a lot more. Like Dragonforce, or Slipknot or whatever.

Just depends what suits you.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

YES DRAGON FORCE

They are amazing.

The more talent you have the less members you need, IN GENERAL that is, because HB58 is right. Look at the White Stripes.

What is with the White Stripes anyways, like they made it big so why is everyone ripping them, I can't recall hearing much of there music, so can someone inform me?
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icy_panic
    how many people do you think is the perfect number for a rock,metal,jazz or whatever band?
    It depends on how talented your individual players are. I've been in trios that blew away 7 piece bands ,but each individual has to be "very" strong. And they all have to play as a unit.

Ultimately it comes down to whatever you want it to sound like. If you want complexity, it will require more musicians, and visa versa. If you're playing covers, you often need more players to cover all the instrumental parts. Of course, if you're playing jazz standards or rush songs, you can get away with less players.

User Info Menu

or rush songs, you can get away with less players.
    Ya if your playing rush songs, your musicians better be pretty incredible
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

User Info Menu

Cool number of people

drummer, you nailed it, dude...

to me, four or five players would be ideal (keyboard, lead, bass, set, and/or percussion); two or three players would really have to kick serious *** to sound great.

I've played with groups that were as small as guitar, fiddle/mandolin and you-know-who on percussion and as large as a 17-piece big band (up to 19 pieces when my "bongo brother" and I sat in)...but unless you have a brass section or are playing big band music, to me anything more than five is overkill.

Some of my favorite tunes are actually little more than bass, piano and drums...but they play tight and really kick...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amputechture
    What is with the White Stripes anyways, like they made it big so why is everyone ripping them, I can't recall hearing much of there music, so can someone inform me?
    I just don't think they're that talented, for how much fame has gone their way. Most of the riffs are bland, boring and repetitive, and none of the drumming offers anything new or even creative. You'd probably say that would be to focus on the lyrical content, which would be great, if there was any. But when you have songs that are comprised mainly of:

"I'm thinking bout my doorbell, when you gonna ring it? When you gonna ring it?"

You realise that they're really an overhyped piece of crap that is only saved by the beautiful production of their horribly simple and repetitive "songs".

I'm sorry if I offended any White Stripes fans, but I just think it's really unfair that so many talented acts go unnoticed while this crap is played non-stop.

HB58
    /rant
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Well, I'd be fine being overhyped, anything for fame right? LOL JK

At least everyone knows Meg White, even if she's infamous and not famous

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

User Info Menu

My Band has 2 core members, with 2 other iffy members and one guys who is just like "I wanna jam with you guys" but can never get a ride out to the place cuz he is always trying to get high somewhere....
    friggin druggies....
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Exclamation what?

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    I just don't think they're that talented, for how much fame has gone their way. Most of the riffs are bland, boring and repetitive, and none of the drumming offers anything new or even creative. You'd probably say that would be to focus on the lyrical content, which would be great, if there was any. But when you have songs that are comprised mainly of:

"I'm thinking bout my doorbell, when you gonna ring it? When you gonna ring it?"

You realise that they're really an overhyped piece of crap that is only saved by the beautiful production of their horribly simple and repetitive "songs".

I'm sorry if I offended any White Stripes fans, but I just think it's really unfair that so many talented acts go unnoticed while this crap is played non-stop.

HB58
    /rant
    yes most of thier songs are simple but jack white is actually a pretty good guitar player just look at his new band 'the racontuers' it brings a whole new prespective on Jack White
    Foiled- to be cut off at the knees, to obscure or confuse.

User Info Menu

I heard once in a interview where Alex Lifeson of Rush said they had three members and that it was perfect as they never had ties when they had to vote on stuff or whatever.

Since everybody has a personality, and an opinion I myself would like to work with as few members as possible and think three is usually pretty good - provided they can play well.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP