Thread: new OLD LPs Fiberglass project

User Info Menu

Default new OLD LPs Fiberglass project

Just finish getting all 3 of the LPs Palisades congas, red quinto, white conga, and black tumba, will be redoing them to original color, and cleaning up hardware, will need a handle for the tumba from the era. putting new lp skins.

User Info Menu

Default Re: new OLD LPs Fiberglass project

photo if it works of the 3
    trying Shutterfly slide show link hope this works
    http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/p...hotos&album=28
    Last edited by willie55; 02-21-2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: add photo webpage link

User Info Menu

Willie55 I sure would like to see your project but I think Drum Chat did something with pictures. I wanted to post some pics of my latest find but I couldn't ether.

User Info Menu

I owned a conga LP Fiberglass- very heavy,as I remember. Great projection though. We need pics!

User Info Menu

photos availabe by using 3rd party site like Shutterfly
    trying Shutterfly slide show link hope this works

http://cmd.shutterfly.com/commands/p...hotos&album=28
    Last edited by willie55; 02-21-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: relinking to photos

User Info Menu

what was the name or the red that is on the conga, doesn't have that red that is used now

User Info Menu

The Lps had " Gel Coat " which is the same color coat used on Chev Sting rays, boats & even some airplanes. It is much tougher that regular auto paint. It is fiberglass resins & epoxy's in a liquid form & is difficult to apply evenly and not DRIP. The early fibergalss drums had lighter lug brackets which bent onlt slightly but Lp did upgrade to a thicker plate. The thinner gass shells did at time delaminate from the stresses at the lug plates ( causing them to dent inward ) In your restoration of these great sounding shells...consider replacing the bottom bolt on the lug plates w/ a stronger grade . I have had them snap off & the lug plate pulled upward & cracked the gelcoat finnish & gouge the shell a little. Also...since the bottom of shell has a metal foot...it sometimes gets loose where it is rivited on or screwed on. I suggest removing it & replacing it in a fresh position to have new mounting holes & to add a thin layer of nylon caulking to fill the gaps & eliminate it from loosening in the future. It wont change the tone. Also...on the very bottom of this metal footing, I always add a nonslip rubber gasket that I super glue to the drum. This protects the drum & the floors u play it on & helps the drum resonate. Its like adding rubber isolators to any other drum...or to acoustic speakers. The science of resonance ! Traditional crowns are fine...as long as not bent out of round or warped so its not true flat on a new drum head. I played the old LPs for decades & prefer them to the over built glass drums they now make. There was better tone in the older models U are restoring. But dont use the REMO NuSkins since they require more torque and stress the shells & hardwares more. Used medium thick heads...not thin ! U have to compensate for glass shells focus more high end tones...and a med thick head sound fuller on glass shells ENJOY ! Ernesto Pediangco

User Info Menu

PS : Lp Matador shells are construted almost identical to the orig LP glass drums. They actualy have minor improvements to the top of drum sound edges. They are more uniform where old Lps sometimes had gaps of airspace between the glass & reinforceing ring inside the sound edge. That caused the glass edges to dent in as if it were melting ! I used to fix this w/ either re glassing the shell ( YUK ) or better yet...used a 2 part epoxy like " JB Weld " and do some body work to shape the edges to match the drum perfectly.