Thread: How many hand drums can you play at one time?

User Info Menu

Cool How many hand drums can you play at one time?

If this question sounds familiar, it may be...

I commented on this in a reply to frequentflyer's question about getting a requinto, and I've been doing some serious thinking since then.

Most really good tumbaderos I've seen are able to get awesome sounds out of no more than three congas and a pair of bongos, similar to the set-up I use at church.

On the other hand, we have at least one person on YouTube who's known for playing seventeen congas, deep bongos and regular bongos all at once. To me, that's a little too much.

So, my question goes two ways:

1) How many can you play (or have played) at one time?

2) What is the optimum number of bongos, congas, etc. a hand drummer needs to get the best sounds for most music gigs?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: How many hand drums can you play at one time?

I had a set of 4 congas at one time. I found that 4 drums was just too much and not needed for what I was doing. 2 were being regularly used, while the other 2 were mere "sound effects", as Leedy put it. I've since downsized to 2 drums and find it more comfortable to play. More drums is fun for solo work, but if you're actually playing with a band I think 2 is more than sufficient.

User Info Menu

2 for me also. I started with Gon Bops quinto & conga. Then I got a GB tumba and played 3 for a while. Once I began to know more about what I was doing I put the quinto away. GB conga & tumba are still my favorite set-up. But, with the LP sizes I like a 2 drum quinto & tumba combo.

msb501clave Guest

As someone who plays in many different musical settings. I use 2 or 3 drums mostly. I have a very good friend who plays 4 and does it very well. His music almost requires it. I think if you are playing in a more open setting and will be covering many complex patterns 3 drums may be needed. But there is nothing like a 2 drum tumbao..