Thread: Revamping my kit..

User Info Menu

Default Revamping my kit..

I have a new kit, and the previous owner painted it, but did a pretty bad job. What kind of paint would I use to repaint it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Revamping my kit..

ive used krylon with ok results, but if you have got the skittlez a stain will look awesome, a buddy of mine used that fleck textured paint and they looked really good

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC Ali. If you would want to spend the extra effort and time, I'd say strip them all and leave them as natural wood with several layers of clear coat. This is a kit that is new to you and not a brand new kit, right? Search this site, there are plenty of threads on this subject.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I Thor about it, but the previous ower has already removed the wrap, ad paired it himself, and I won't be able to get t stripped and painted before my band tart recording. But thanks anyway.

User Info Menu

you could remove the original paint if it's bad with sandpaper to strip it down to bare wood, and then either stain, wrap, or start a lacquer paint job(the most time consuming)
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I agree with Russ. I personally would sand it down to the natural wood and then you could stain it or just put some natural Danish oil on them to bring out the grain and then some coats of natural polyurethane. Would be beautiful if it is nice wood. I just did that to a set and they came out georgous.

User Info Menu

once you have done all that , might be a god idea to finish with a clear coat

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips guys. I tried to get it totally down to bear wood, but the origial paint wouldn't come off and I didn't want to sand it down too much and alter the shape, so I went with a brilliant metallic White coat and a matte black stripe around each shell, and it looks pretty good. All I have left to do is the final clear coat, and possibly put a coat or two of varnish on the shell interior, as I was told that this would give a good warm sound.

dave0549jv Guest

well no matter what you do... this is DC, so PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!!!

User Info Menu

I'll post up some pictures when I get my computer back on it's feet. My iPod don't do pictures.