Thread: yamaha tour custom vs pearl ecx

User Info Menu

Arrow yamaha tour custom vs pearl ecx

Hey everyone,
    I am interested in getting a new drumset. I like both of these sets. I would like some feedback as in which one I should get. One thing I am stuck on is the fact of the lifetime warranty on the pearl shell whereas the yamaha's has only a three year warranty. One other thing, do you guys personally think that 60 degree bearing edge is going to make a difference versus pearl's 45 degree bearing edge.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

i would go with the pearl 1 because it's overall better than yamaha in my opinion and 2 that lifetime warranty will really come in handy along with pearl's reliability
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Thanks

User Info Menu

i havnt played either of these new sets, but know the reputation of both companies. pearl and yamaha are both great companies. i am familiar with the stage customs and the old poplar exports, both very comparable with each other. i would imagine that the tour custom and the ecx are pretty equal in quality. the 60 degree edge on the yamaha will give a fatter rounder tone where the double 45 on the export will give you more attack and volume.
    it really comes down to personal preference with these two. the lifetime warranty on pearl shells is a nice addition, however the ecx is only avail. in a few finishes.
    usually i can give an opinion on what to get but this would be a toss up for me too. i dont think you would go wrong with either kit.

User Info Menu

Thanks,
    How about difference in ply thickness. I read that the thinner the ply the more the drum resonates. Looking at the yamaha it uses a 6 ply (6mm) for the toms and a 7 ply (7mm) for the bass drum whereas the pearls uses everything as a 6ply (7.5mm) drums. I am also wondering what effect this will have on the drums.

User Info Menu

I've been looking at a few pearl kits and the yahmaha tour custom too. I'm not sure what I'll go with either

User Info Menu

Yeah still have not decided

User Info Menu

even 7 ply 7.5mm is still considered "kinda" thin. i am familliar with with this config as it is basically what my masters are made of. the export ecx used b grade maple that was used in the session line, as compaired to the a grade maple used for the masters series. btw... my drums resonate very nicely.
    no doubt the export will sound good for it is pretty much the same drums as the discontinued session line.

User Info Menu

I thought the Export line was being discontinued as well?

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

oops i typo'd the pearl shells ARE 6 ply.
    to answer about the export, the ecx maple is the only model left in the series.
    the rest of the export line has been replaced by the vision line made from birch and basswood.

User Info Menu

Yamaha Stage Custom All The Way!! Woo Hooo!