Thread: Snare Sound

User Info Menu

Default Snare Sound

Any tips on how to get my Snare to sound more like
    this? not exactly like it, I just like the really deep sound, another snare sound I like is Dave Grohls on Nevermind.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gu3gDhESRY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gu3gDhESRY[/ame]

I have a 6.5x14 Pork Pie Big Black, and still have the head that came on it, think its an ambassador. I like the sound I'm currently getting from it but would really prefer a deeper thwack type of sound over the pop I'm getting now.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Sound

you have the depth, is this snare wood or metal or acrylic ?

User Info Menu

14X8 steel snare clear Control Sound head, tuned low, lots of reverb

User Info Menu

It's probably a two ply coated head, and possibly a Remo Controlled Sound. Tuned medium on the batter. I had a similar sound on my metal 6.5x14 using a Remo Black Dot (which was basically what the CS is). Given the age of the song, there weren't that many head options in the early 90's!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

NR, you beat me to it. But I don't think you need an 8" deep snare, I think you can pull it off with a 6.5.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Yeah but the 8" was THE 80's snare drum

User Info Menu

Only for wimps who couldn't hit hard enough to make a 6.5 loud
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

Larrysperf Guest

My Ludwig 6.5 x 14 supraphonic sounds just like it with coated ambassador on it

User Info Menu

So If I loosen my top head form tight down to medium tight should I do the same with the reso? and as far as the snare wires I hardly hear them on a lot of the deeper sounding snares is there a way to get less sound form them and more from the drum?

Thanks for the help so far, haha I didn't even think to look at his head in the video, and was thinking it would be a 2 ply coated of some sort.

edit: my snare is brass by the way, and does anyone still make a 14x8 snare that is around the $200-300 range or one I could get used for that or less?
    Last edited by Atomic; 02-23-2010 at 07:41 PM.

User Info Menu

get the 6.5

way more versatile..

User Info Menu

Try wanting versatility with a 5" depth. sucks... lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    get the 6.5

way more versatile..
    I already have a 5 and a 6.5, If I cant get the sound I want from that I will probably upgrade to an 8 eventually.

User Info Menu

im sure you can get that sound with a wood 6.5 snare , ya just have to fool around with the tuning and the tightness of the snares ,
    plus,,, you must remember ,,hes playing through a huge pa system ,with eq's and and who knows how many effects .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I got my snare to sound pretty close with the ambassador head on it still. For those interested what I did was.

I have the batter head only about half as tight as it was before, and put a muffle ring on it, will probably change the ambassador soon as I can cause i really don't like it.

I had to play with the resonant side ALOT to get it to sound right, mostly the snare wires. I tightened the wires a little bit and lowered the tension on the bottom head considerably. What surprised me about doing this is I thought it would kill the response from the snare wires on ghost notes but its actually better than it was before.

My favorite part about it isn't that my snare finally sounds much closer to the sound I have in mind, it is that I have accidentally eliminated a problem I thought I could never make go away, snare buzz from the toms.

Thanks for the help I will probably try the dotted head when I replace the ambassador to see I fit gets me closer.

User Info Menu

By de-tuning the Ambassador and adding a ring, you're basically doing the same thing as swapping the batter for a two-ply. The difference is that you will get less sustain from your current setup. Try throwing a Remo Emperor X on there and see how she sings.

That's the setup I use on my 6.5x14 OCDP custom and it sounds awesome.

dave0549jv Guest

try wearing some really tight leather pants. that should help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoBoyLA View Post
    By de-tuning the Ambassador and adding a ring, you're basically doing the same thing as swapping the batter for a two-ply. The difference is that you will get less sustain from your current setup. Try throwing a Remo Emperor X on there and see how she sings.

That's the setup I use on my 6.5x14 OCDP custom and it sounds awesome.
    Im definitely gonna try a new head once I can, but Im not sure if it will help as much as leather pants.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
    Im definitely gonna try a new head once I can, but Im not sure if it will help as much as leather pants.
    That and an aluminum-foil-wrapped cucumber.

User Info Menu

I was plannin on getting some pretty tight leather so if it its in I'll give it a shot haha