Thread: Cymbal Help!

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal Help!

Hello again fellas, been awhile since my last post!

Just wanted to ask your guys opinion on my next cymbal. I am hoping to get a cymbal to compliment my Sabian AA Metal - X 18" Crash. I really like the sound and it projects well. I am looking into getting another crash and want one that will mesh very well with that one. Of course I know about the other aa metal x crashes, but there a little pricey and I was wondering if there was any other cymbals you guys knew of with a similar sound?

Or any ideas to figure out? I am planning on going to a guitar center and testing cymbals against it, but that is if I ever find time, which is rare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal Help!

Good to see you again JOX! You are really going to want to hear it against other cymbals. What I think sounds good, you may not. If you can't get to the store to hear them side by side, you could go to various companies websites and hear audio clips. I know its not a perfect representation of what they sound like in real life, but it should give you a general idea. Youtube has good clips also. Hope this helps!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I say go to Guitar Center and hear different cymbals, that way you cant spend your money on something you dont want.

I say check Paiste Alphas they're pretty good and really affordable, also if you want to keep on Sabian check the Xs20 line which is pretty good too
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

I agree with everything that's been said.
    Matt

User Info Menu

thanks guys, I will just have to go to guitar center than and figure it out. thanks for the recommendations!

User Info Menu

Xs20's will not sound like aa metal-x's. The metal-x line is sabian's version of a concept of cymbals lathed in such a way that makes them louder than others. As a result, they are very well suited for aggressive playing styles such as metal or hardcore music. Other cymbals that carry this character trait are zildjian z custom, zildjian a custom "projection", paiste alpha/rude lines. Meant for live playing, you might want something different if you are going into the studio to record.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments