Thread: Anyone sing while playing?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone sing while playing?

I am using the audia technia pro 8 right now and it is just not getting the job done. It is to tinny and doesn't come across very well. What are you using and what would you recommend?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Antone sing while playing?

The heading should read ANYONE.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Antone sing while playing?

I sing back-up while playing. Right now, I use a boom mic. (No clue what brand the mic is.) I'm constantly moving it back and forth to keep it out of my way.

My bass player is trying to get me to buy his Peavey Headset. I'll let you know how it goes in a few days.
    ~~Zildjian League~~

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone sing while playing?

I just a regular vocal mic on a boom stand. I've found the best position to my left and behind the hi hat, with the stand high so the mic is coming down towards me. Leaves room to play the hi-hat without interference and I don't have to reach too much. A little challenging to play the ride and still lean left a little, but works for me.

I sing backup on many songs, and lead on 3 or 4.

I had a headset mic years ago, but I find it weird to not be able to "turn away" from the mic and I worry the audience will hear a lot of breathing noises .
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

SM57 on a boom

User Info Menu

I don't play in a band but if I'm playing to a song and I'm not super focused (ie: I know the song well already), I might "sing" a bit

User Info Menu

my bassist does back up vocals, so i dont have to worry about singing lol, but it would be a good challege maybe il try it in the future
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

I use the Shure headset mike. I just take it off when not using. I run it through an ART tube pre-amp. I can control my volume right from the beside the floor tom. I do use mike on boom also but find them kind of restricting. It seems like I get it perfectly located to sing, and it's in the way of something on the set. LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

I also use Shure headset mike. Had used a boom, but it got in way or had trouble focusing it close enough in for good vocal pick up, but not so close as to make singing and drumming awkward. The headset also focuses the voice pick up, so minimizes drum wash into the mix. I turn it down/off through pre-amp when not using.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

I love it when I have the chance to use a headset, but if you have to go with a boom SM58 without a doubt. It's like a 57, but it set up a little better for singing. Plus, they're indestructible.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Anyone sing while playing?

Since 1964 I always had boom stands,goosenecks,,,,etc....
    I hadda studio boom for quite awhile...I was partial
    to a Shure sm57(sm58 if i wanted more drums in da mix)
    then (like Don Henley) I started havin back problems
    cuz of havin my mouth in position at da mic as my body flailed away...

In 1993 thru a pro audio store in Phx( EAR audio) they
    introduced me to my new "love".....way before Shure & AKG had headsets,
    A company in Kansas City developed a "protype"headset....called "COUNTRYMAN".....
    Mic smaller than a small fingernail and a rubber coated wire frame
    across da back of da head to hook in front of ears,,,
    no facial obstruction and dat baby is sweet...
    Have never had one bit of a problem now over 17 years later....!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cole1paul View Post
    I love it when I have the chance to use a headset, but if you have to go with a boom SM58 without a doubt. It's like a 57, but it set up a little better for singing. Plus, they're indestructible.
    +1 SM58
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Either play or sing but not both!
    Yamaha Stage Custom
    prov. 3:5-6

User Info Menu

random string of curse words usually

User Info Menu

Shure Beta 58 on a boom. Tried a headset but after one song during sound check went back to the mic on a boom. With a headset you don't have the ability to use any mic technique. You are at a constant distance from mouth to mic.
    You can't pull back when you really scream something out or get on it during a soft passage when you need some more intimacy.
    Jusy my opinion of what works for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    Shure Beta 58 on a boom. Tried a headset but after one song during sound check went back to the mic on a boom. With a headset you don't have the ability to use any mic technique. You are at a constant distance from mouth to mic.
    You can't pull back when you really scream something out or get on it during a soft passage when you need some more intimacy.
    Jusy my opinion of what works for me.
    This is true

all the best...

User Info Menu

Completely throws me off if i try singing.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Unhappy Re: Anyone sing while playing?

I'm going back to my Shure headset if I can. Last night I used a boom mike...
    it slowly sagged down during the song! I couldn't hit the hi-hat so instead did tom rims for half the song!
    Singing and drumming is a pain but the band's singer's voice weakens after about 3 songs so I have to help out!

User Info Menu

I sing harmonies on most of my bands tracks and lead on a couple. I have always used a shure sm58 on a boom stand to my left beside the hat stand and i put it right up so the boom arm comes down towards me which prevents anything getting in the way, similar to Reni from Stone Roses ( see pic at url below) i also like to have the back of the mic pointing directly at my crash above 1st rack tom to try too prevent leakage as much as possible. I had to play a gig recently where a wedge monitor had been put in where my mic stand goes (not our set up) and had to put the stand next to my floor tom, what a nightmare, never again, i actually knocked it over with my head during one song.

http://www.rock-republic.co.uk/ekmps...images/086.jpg

User Info Menu

Countryman headset attached to a Shure wireless bodypack. Also using Mipro custom buds with a Sennheiser E300G1 wireless IEM system.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inspired View Post
    I sing harmonies on most of my bands tracks and lead on a couple. I have always used a shure sm58 on a boom stand to my left beside the hat stand and i put it right up so the boom arm comes down towards me which prevents anything getting in the way, similar to Reni from Stone Roses ( see pic at url below) i also like to have the back of the mic pointing directly at my crash above 1st rack tom to try too prevent leakage as much as possible. I had to play a gig recently where a wedge monitor had been put in where my mic stand goes (not our set up) and had to put the stand next to my floor tom, what a nightmare, never again, i actually knocked it over with my head during one song.

http://www.rock-republic.co.uk/ekmps...images/086.jpg
    That's my set up too. It's nice to be able to back away from the mic, or at times turn the mic towards the back of the stage so it won't pick up my voice.

Headsets are cool, but there is something about having the boom mic there that I like. I couldn't even imagine having the guitarists with headsets on. We're a straight up rock band, and singing at the mic just goes with the territory!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

an s m 58 ,on a boom stand with a gooseneck, i set it up behind me ,and over the top of my head ,and it keeps the mic in front of my face .
    Tamaholic