Thread: Heel down practice

User Info Menu

Default Heel down practice

I've been playing for a lot of years, but haven't for a long time now and have decided to go back to the basics.

I put an Iron Cobra double pedal on my kit and have been slowly working on some heel down beats. Two problems.

One, when I press the pedal, I am getting a second, quieter hit with the beater on the bass head, which of course I don't want. Just trying to play quarter notes, that's it.

Secondly, as I start playing my foot is sliding up the pedal and not being stopped by the toe stop, then it makes contact with the beater impeding its forward progress.

Is this mechanical on the pedal or is my technique lacking? I'd really like to throw away old habits.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Heel down practice

Welcome to DrumChat dpoul34. The ghost notes are common trait when starting something new on any bass drum pedal. Muscle memory excerises with slow beat per minutes can help strengthen your muscles in your feet and legs.

As far as sliding up and hitting the chain with your feet again, find the sweet spot between the toe stop and the middle of the pedal...it's there, you just have to find the spot on the pedal and position your toe or in my case the ball of my foot in that spot. Some drummers hang their toe off of the pedal at a 45 degree angle to avoid hitting the chain but still have enough foot on the pedal to work the sweet spot.