Thread: snare and bass tuning

User Info Menu

Default snare and bass tuning

all right, so i cant seem to get the right sound out of my snare. im using a 14x5 yamaha stage custom noveau (birch real mahogny mix) witth a G2 over Hazy 300. currently too ringy. i want a snare soung like on john mayer's drummer, or if you could go to emissary band.com and listen some sound file, thats really what i want, but i do not tthink i can get that out of my snare. and as for my bass drum, i want it to be nice and low, but focused, not ringy. im using stock yamaha heads with an evans pacth. i want a bass drum sound that really can drive, so try to approch it as a really low tom, not so much a bass drum. but i want a little punch. any ideas? thanks guys.
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Default Re: snare and bass tuning

(I'm going by the sound of the snare on that website).

You're not going to get a sound exactly like that without micing up your kit. That being said, I was going for the same sort of sound awhile ago, and I had a G2 over Hazy 300 as well. What I did was tune the batter down pretty low, but not so low that it's unresponsive, and then tune the reso even looser. Then stick a moongel on there and you should be pretty close. And FYI the snare I was using was a birch/basswood Tama Superstar 14x5.5, which is similar to your snare. I agree, neither of them are the best snares for getting that kind of sound, but it can be done.

As for the bass, it will always have too much ring if you're using the stock head. Try an Aquarian SK2 or an Evans EMAD with a ported reso and nothing inside the drum. If it still has too much sustain stick a small bathroom towel or couch pillow or t-shirt or something like that in there.
    Matt

User Info Menu

thanks yohin. ill give that a shot.... ive seen the band live, and the snare sounds the same, and he was only mciing his bass drum. as for the bass i konw i need a EMAD, but i dont have any money right now lol. (gotta pay for magic music days @ disneyland, cant wait to play their kit of there- last year it was a maple custom absolute)

Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

I would say the ported reso might be the key. I've got an EMAD on my Tour Customs (and Renowns) with stock resos and the sound is good, but I had a more focused sound on my Tamas with the EMAD2 and a ported EQ3.

In terms of the snare, have you thrown a ring on there? The Remo one's are good, and if you need more, go with Aquarian Studio Rings.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

i have an evans e ring and a yamaha ring that ill use soemtimes. what i really want to know for the bass drum is how do i get the sound i want with the current heads