Thread: Patato

frquent flyer Guest

Default Patato

Does Patato have any CD's where he is the primary soloist?Names please.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Patato

Hi frquent flyer.
    There is a 2CD set with booklet where patato is the dominant player, and does a lot of soloing. It is called "Understanding latin rhythms", and features what might be the finest rhythm section in latin music. And it is only the rhythm section.
    Search "Understanding latin rhythms" in Google, and you will find out where to get it. That is if you live in the US.
    I have only the first part on a vinyl record, and have been trying to find a dealer that ships the CDs to Europe, so if anyone should should know how to get the thing in Europe, I would appreciate that very much.
    Two of the tracks on the CDs are on Youtube.
    Cat.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Patato

Welcome aboard, cat!

While not strictly an album or CD, I believe Patato played congas and percussion on the third-season open and closing themes on "The Cosby Show." If I'm not mistaken, there was also an episode in which he played music in a scene toward the end of the show.

(The "Cosby Show" opening sequence used a theme song composed by Bill Cosby himself, but different artists performed different arrangements of the theme song through the years. One year it was reggae, one year it was the Patato Latin sound, another year it was scat singing, and one year it was a dramatic orchestral arrangement with dancing involving all the cast members, etc.)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome, bongobro. I wonder if there is some kind of misunderstanding here. The CDs I am referring to were originally recorded in 1974, produced by Martin Cohen, and with among others Patato, Jose Mangual and Manny Oquendo. There is of course some awesome bongoplaying by Jose Mangual, and a very interesting drum conversation between patato and Jose Mangual.
    Cat

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Patato

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, bongobro. I wonder if there is some kind of misunderstanding here. The CDs I am referring to were originally recorded in 1974, produced by Martin Cohen, and with among others Patato, Jose Mangual and Manny Oquendo. There is of course some awesome bongoplaying by Jose Mangual, and a very interesting drum conversation between patato and Jose Mangual.
    Cat
    I think I have that LP album on a vinyl LP...I bought it shortly after I began studying percussion seriously in 1984...and I'm glad you jogged my memory, Cat, since it's a killer album!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frquent flyer View Post
    Does Patato have any CD's where he is the primary soloist?Names please.
    Also check a classic CD from LPJE ( Latin Perc, jazz ensemble ) live at Montreux jazz fest w/ Tito Puente, Patato,Alfredo de la Fey on Violin, Jorge dalto on Piano & i think it was Victor Vengas on bass. Live recording !
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 03-23-2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: ps...LPJE is also on You tube ! Live concert recording !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    I think I have that LP album on a vinyl LP...I bought it shortly after I began studying percussion seriously in 1984...and I'm glad you jogged my memory, Cat, since it's a killer album!
    remember " Swing togeather , with the rhythm, that is where the soul is at . This is called the Mazacote, and it comes from Africa ! ( from Mazacote : Understanding Lat. Rhythms vol 2 )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    Yes there are more CDs today on this topic and by the way that is Jose Mangual SR. not Jose Mangual JR many confuse father and son.
    Speaking of J Mangual SR.....watch or listen to the Machito Orch. Thats the SR. Mangual...Smoking yet subtle about it.