Thread: jcr new cowbell in chrome

User Info Menu

Default jcr new cowbell in chrome

jcr just made there new cow bells in chrome i just bought me one from him it sound realy grate it has a very deep pich witch a lot of bongo players like. its kind of heavy but the sound is nice and clear.
    Last edited by timbalero23; 02-27-2010 at 10:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: jcr new cowbell in chrome

thanks for the info great advice

User Info Menu

JCR makes great bells, I have a few and really love the sound of them.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Timbaleros, I carry 2 Jcrs in my gig case, 1 mediun low and 1 mediun pitch. Also have 1 low pitch which I do not use much because it does not project the sound too far, I mean the sound is loud on stage but stays in the stage.All 3 are painted flat black. 1 new chrome 3A percussion high pitch which I use for outdoor giging. One thing you must have while selecting a bell is the beater,that way you can check many bells and the select, no bell IMHO sound the same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timbalero23 View Post
    jcr just made there new cow bells in chrome i just bought me one from him it sound realy grate it has a very deep pich witch a lot of bongo players like. its kind of heavy but the sound is nice and clear.
    I agree with the other guys, I used JCRs since the product line started, I try bto keep 3 hand bells, Low pitched for Cuban styles, Med. for Salsa & general purpose, & a Songo Bell which is a shorter higher pitched bell. I have chromed my bells in the past but i prefer them w/ a simple clear coat, then I use Hammerite Antique Gold or bronze spray pait lightly enough to stop oxidation but not mute the tones. I have also welded a mounting clamp so my hand bell can replicate the sound & function of a Bongo players bell pattern when a bongosero is not available ( usualy me anyway nOW THAT u have an authentic JCR hand bell, its a great time to match a JCR timbale bell, mambo bell & Cha Cha bell that sound good w/ the hand bell...like tunning a set of cymbals, its great to have a tunned set of Latin bells. If a odd bell makes its way to stage that does not sound nice w/ my set, I offer my hand bells temporarily. Changing hand bells for particular needs of the music, adds color & dynamic fabric to a show, avoids momotony. Now...u have to learn the approriate bells patterns & how they knit like a fabric to the other rhythm patterns. If at times it may be too loud or have odd harmonic over rings, try adding small pieces of refrigerator magnets inside to muffle the bell. Never use tape..its way too gunky w/ adheasives. Jcr also makes hand held & mounted 2 tone Brazilian bells !!!

User Info Menu

hey timbalero, since you have had your chrome cowbell has it started to rust or anything? because i have a regular one and got rusty just after a few times of me playing it.

User Info Menu

JCR bells...are the original insiration for LP's SALSA line of bells ( lame copies of JCR ) but...the minimalistic sealer on the metal does need either paint, powder coating, Zinc annodising or chrome. Chrome is heavier & can muffle some ringiness from the tone of the bells. Its also smooth and can be slippery if its mirror polished, If u do chrome it....u do not need to mirror polish it ! My favorite paint...is in a spray can & is called " Hammerite " and comes in antique metal finishes...like antique Gold,Copper,Bronze or colors & does not require primer paint. Once your ears get used to JCR bells...the Pearl, Gon Bops, Toca & LP bells...seem more like entry level bells...regardless of price ! How ever....Meinl makes GREAT bells too !

User Info Menu

Will trade Osiris large bell for JCR medium pitch bell.

User Info Menu

Giadan Saludos, in my case you are asking for gold from the moons of Jupiter. Once while buying many JCR Campanas (were on sale $10 a piece ) I was the one handling the deal so I was hitting every bell that pass by my hands until I found a nice Mediun bell with that particular dry sound & that is the one I have.

User Info Menu

Smile Re: jcr new cowbell in chrome

Quote Originally Posted by El salsero View Post
    hey timbalero, since you have had your chrome cowbell has it started to rust or anything? because i have a regular one and got rusty just after a few times of me playing it.
    hey how u doin my bell has not rust but if u got a regular jcr bell and it rust thats good the older and rusty it get the better it sound over the years

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto Pediangco View Post
    I agree with the other guys, I used JCRs since the product line started, I try bto keep 3 hand bells, Low pitched for Cuban styles, Med. for Salsa & general purpose, & a Songo Bell which is a shorter higher pitched bell. I have chromed my bells in the past but i prefer them w/ a simple clear coat, then I use Hammerite Antique Gold or bronze spray pait lightly enough to stop oxidation but not mute the tones. I have also welded a mounting clamp so my hand bell can replicate the sound & function of a Bongo players bell pattern when a bongosero is not available ( usualy me anyway nOW THAT u have an authentic JCR hand bell, its a great time to match a JCR timbale bell, mambo bell & Cha Cha bell that sound good w/ the hand bell...like tunning a set of cymbals, its great to have a tunned set of Latin bells. If a odd bell makes its way to stage that does not sound nice w/ my set, I offer my hand bells temporarily. Changing hand bells for particular needs of the music, adds color & dynamic fabric to a show, avoids momotony. Now...u have to learn the approriate bells patterns & how they knit like a fabric to the other rhythm patterns. If at times it may be too loud or have odd harmonic over rings, try adding small pieces of refrigerator magnets inside to muffle the bell. Never use tape..its way too gunky w/ adheasives. Jcr also makes hand held & mounted 2 tone Brazilian bells !!!
    Additionaly I recently took a set of 6 bells...timbale bells, Cha Chabell, Charanga bell ( higher pitched cha cha bell ) & 2 Bongo bells...that all were very bright in tone & even some w/ wierd over tones...I had them powder coated in Red for appearance as well as to tone down the brightness w/o muting them...as duct tape etc may do ( although I only use duct tape on ventilation ducting * ) To my amazement...the over tones fadded away but the bells remained focued in pitch...and only slightly muted. Thats exactly what I hoped for...a tunned set of Bells for smaller clubs & well miked situations where I did not need the brighter / louder bells that I also have...for specific use in bigger venues or out doors etc. Since I dont own a RED Corvette...my Red bells are evidence of my mid life crisis ! lol Chromed metal has its own effect on a bells pitch...it depends on the thickness of the plating...but I never want to be cut by chrome slivers !

User Info Menu

You Right Ernesto, paint takes away the overtones. In my case I look for a dry sound, for that purpose a friend first applied a coat of primer and then painted them flat black. He did a great job to the point that only the place where the beater hit is only where the paint has come off.

Also I believe the bell sound gets better with time since you are shaping it with every hit.

User Info Menu

I do not mind a bit of rust on my bells I think it adds character and shows that they have been used. I Use duct tape and sticky taxck for muting my bells.

I recently had the opportunity to visit Cally's shop in NYC in the ole' Bronx. If I did not Googlemap it before going, I would not have found it. Very modest diggs but loaded with surprizes and first rateinstruments. I reccomend this trip very highly.

Cow bells are alot like cymbals, 2 bells the same make and size can have completely different sound and tone. I spent 2 hours matching 4 bells together. Later I picked up a set of JCR soild Mahogony Bongos. These bongos are first rate and are increasingly rare.

Cally and his generation are a treasure of history, knowledge and great instruments too. He also has authentic guiros and other instruments in his tiny workshop. Cally makes custom Congas and Bombas too. All like the real deal from the islands.

Keep it fun,

Jerry