Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evans EC2s?

User Info Menu

Default Evans EC2s?

does anyone have them? iv been thinking about getting some

which ones are better in ur opinion, the clear or coated EC2
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans EC2s?

Neither are better or worse. They each have qualities that may speak to some but not others and characteristics that are better for some situations but not others. It is a preference really. I feel like the coated ones will be a bit warmer. i have the clear Evans EC2 SST's on my toms and they were easy to tune and gave a nice full sound.

User Info Menu

I have the older clear EC-2s on my SONOR kit.

I have the new clear EC2s (SST) on my MAPEX kit (better on the smaller diameter drums; about the same on the larger ones).

My next rehead on the SONOR will be the new coated EC2s (SST). One additional suggestion is that you also consider the EC2 resos, which completes the package.

As far as coated vs. clear; as with any head choice that comes in both formats, it is personal preference. Slightly warmer tone from most coated heads.

User Info Menu

another ec2 thread???? okay well ec2 is often compared to remo pinstripe. like said in the previous post, i beleive the coated head will give you more of a warmer sound and they seem to be the more popular choice. i personally use clear ec2 to play metal and have never broken or cracked one. good all around head if you like a little bit of *thump*.

not recomended if you like the sound of single ply heads. keep in mind the ec2 is very much a double ply head and they act like it.

Larrysperf Guest

Coated here and have never looked back. But Damage Drummer sees it more clearly than me lol

User Info Menu

i have a Mapex QR series and put ec2 clears and g1 resonants. i really like the way they sound (AFTER TUNING lol), its a really good combo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SEAN8293 View Post
    does anyone have them? iv been thinking about getting some

which ones are better in ur opinion, the clear or coated EC2
    Subjective personal opinion for me...I like the punch of the clear better.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I love the clears. By the way EC2s are 10x better than Pinstripes IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cole1paul View Post
    I love the clears. By the way EC2s are 10x better than Pinstripes IMO.
    No doubt. I don't think they even compare with each other. Nothing against Pinstripes, but they are a different animal.

User Info Menu

and whats the difference between the regular EC2s and the EC2 SSTs?
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

20" Paiste RUDE china

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SEAN8293 View Post
    and whats the difference between the regular EC2s and the EC2 SSTs?
    The original EC2s are out of production. They had a ring array imbedded in the head to control unwanted overtones (not deaden the head). The problem was, this silver material was the same width on all diameter heads making its effect on smaller drums different than on largers ones. The SST technology is designed to be more size appropriate; smaller diameter heads will have a more appropriate amount of mass in the ring which does help on drums 12" or smaller in particular. Also, instead of being an applied solid ring, it is more like an ink for lack of a better term. It is quite intesting to look at and has a web effect between the two rings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    The original EC2s are out of production. They had a ring array imbedded in the head to control unwanted overtones (not deaden the head). The problem was, this silver material was the same width on all diameter heads making its effect on smaller drums different than on largers ones. The SST technology is designed to be more size appropriate; smaller diameter heads will have a more appropriate amount of mass in the ring which does help on drums 12" or smaller in particular. Also, instead of being an applied solid ring, it is more like an ink for lack of a better term. It is quite intesting to look at and has a web effect between the two rings.
    Thanks! I was wondering why I could find the orginals anymore!

User Info Menu

Interesting. I'm debating what to re-head my new kit with. I really liked hydraulics on my old kit, but it was a whole different animal from the new one. They definitely took some of the basswood boom/woof out. Sounds like EC2 (SST)s might be a good way to go. I'm not trying to kill the resonance, but I would like a fairly focussed/punchy attack.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

x saber, how are you, about the ec2/ec2 sst, you said it sounded different on your small tom, and not so much on the floor tom?

User Info Menu

I also meant to ask you what reso head with the ec2's?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by warrier1 View Post
    I also meant to ask you what reso head with the ec2's?
    On my SONOR, I use EC Resos. On my MAPEX, I still have the stock clear single plys that came with the kit.

The new design of the SST allows for an appropriate amount of dampening based on head size. The original EC2s had the same width of ring regardless of head size. In essence, the originals had too much mass in the dampening ring on small sizes whereas the larger heads were fine. The new EC2s with SST have less mass on the smaller heads, but the larger heads seem less affected.
    Last edited by xsabers; 03-28-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: 'Cuz I is a moron...

User Info Menu

kool then i will get just the 12in head i like the sound of the 14in floor thanks for the reply for now i use g1 for resos

User Info Menu

the coating for the EC2s seems to be kindof clear

does it sound different than most coated heads? or was it just to look different, (i think it looks cooler than regular coated heads)
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

20" Paiste RUDE china

User Info Menu

According to another thread that I read the coating is the exact same coating that they use on all of their heads. The only difference is that they do not put the white coloring in these heads. John

User Info Menu

I was thinking about trying a clear ec2 on top with a g1 coated for a reso, was wondering if anyone has ever tried a clear on top with a coated bottom?

User Info Menu

I've always been a hater of the EC2s. To me, they make drums sound like crap. But perhaps it was because I tried the old ones? I might give the SSTs a try and see if the new method works better.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

I used to have the EC2 but i just go for the G2 coated now! ...I'm a tune-o-holik now... I got really good at tuning so i dont get that much of an unwanted overtone ...
    Eric & The Blues Band
    Ludwig
    Yamaha
    Ludwig Hardware (Stands)
    Pearl Hardware (BD Pedal)
    Tama Hardware (HH Stand)
    Zildjian (Zildjian League)
    Sabian
    Evans
    Vater
    Pork Pie
    CAD Mics

Music is Life

User Info Menu

just got a set of these heads, clear ones, I was thinking about using these over coated g1s, has anyone ever tried this?

User Info Menu

Over Clear G1's for me. Also over clear EC Resos...

User Info Menu

The two black yamaha toms in this vid (Stage Custom Birch) are fitted with Evans EC2 SST heads with Evans G1's on reso. They are clear, I have also used the coated and they are somewhat warmer.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnWazGgtKAA"]YouTube- Evans G2's and EC2 SST's[/ame]
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed