Thread: Traveling Floor Covering

User Info Menu

Question Traveling Floor Covering

I have used a remnant of indoor / outdoor carpet for setting up the drums on hard floors. This kept the kit from sliding or getting scratched and aided acoustically, however it can be bulky and heavy for travel.

I just saw a YouTube video and the drummer was using those interlocking foam squares (looked to be about 2' x 2' squares). I thought this was a novel idea and would like to give it a try. I've seen some nice ones at a sporting goods store for exercise flooring. I also know they make cheaper ones for kids to play on (although each square is a different color in this case).

Has anyone tried and had any success with these squares as a buffer between the kit and hardwood, linoleum or cement?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Traveling Floor Covering

I've used them, and still do. Easy to stack up and bring to gig, too. Many hardware stores sell them (at least in my area) and advertise them as flooring for basements or exercise areas. They are usually slate gray or similar color, so not bad looking either.

I find the do not "move" on wood, or cement. My bass drum spurs also dig into them and help anchor the bass drum. You can also "draw on them." I have used a white marker to outline key parts of my set on the mats (small line to mark where bass drum hoop lies), to help with very quick set up at gigs.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

How padded are they? I wouldn't want anything too spongy.

User Info Menu

I simply use a large enough throw rug. It rolls up in seconds and has served me well for over 10 years.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have never used them and think it sounds like a good idea. Carpet doesnt fit into small cars to easily.

I have seen these squares at Home DEpot and thought they werre a little pricy.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    How padded are they? I wouldn't want anything too spongy.
    They vary, depending on intended use. The ones made for weight room floor/exercise purposes can be tougher, about 1/2 inch thick. Yes, have seen these more durable ones and the softer ones (depends on manufacturer I believe) at places like Home depot. Good to check internet after you check local big-box hardware perhaps.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

I actually use a thick piece of rubber which is one piece. It is usually used for weight lifting, however brightens up my kit while recording as my floor is carpet.