View Poll Results: How do you tune your Toms?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Top head Higher Then Bottom

4 33.33%
  • Top Head Lower Then Bottom

2 16.67%
  • Top Head Same As Bottom

6 50.00%

Thread: How do you tune your drums?

User Info Menu

Default How do you tune your drums?

I recently got new heads for my snare and toms, top and bottom. I got Aquarian Classic Clear for all bottom heads, Aquarian Super 2 Clear for all tom tops and Aquarian Responce 2 for snare top. I just wanted to know how everybody tunes their top and bottom heads? I like how my snare sounds, top head is tuned very high and bottom is tuned lower. I need to work on my toms, top is tuned the same as the bottom, but i'm not liking the sound, so i have to mess with the tuning a little bit. Also I wanted to know, how does the tuning of the bottom head effect the overall sound of a tom? I usually tune my top head to a tone i like and bring my bottom to the same tone, and mess around with it from there. Thanks

Drum Sizes:

11X13
    6X14 (Snare)
    17X16
    Last edited by xxkmanxx; 03-01-2010 at 09:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How do you tune your drums?

Top head higher in most cases with toms. Snare bottom is always significantly tighter.

User Info Menu

As for me, it really depends on which drum. If it's the snare, top same as bottom, but if it's a tom, top lower than bottom.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

For my toms, I like to tune the batter and resonant heads the same. For the snare, I like to tune the snare side head higher than the batter. For the bass, the resonant and batter heads are tuned the same - tightened just past the wrinkles.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Recently, I have gone to the batter heads being slightly tighter than the bottom. More so on the snare. It really depends on the drum, there is a distinct difference between a metal snare and wood.
    For the toms I bring them to them to the same point of tension and then tweak the batter head to get the sound I want. Have been using a Drum Dial lately to get them there. Kick heads as PB says, just past the wrinkles.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware