Thread: Gretsch Floor Tom / Camco Drum Project

User Info Menu

Default Gretsch Floor Tom / Camco Drum Project

As some of you know I have 22" Chanute and 12" Chanute silver sparkle Camco drum shells I have been useing in different configurations. Only had one side of the Bass and tom operational. Have been looking for a Chanute or Oaklawn Camco floor tom to finish out a 3 peice vintage shell pack.
    Was on CL last week and someone had a vintage stop sign badge early 70's Gretsch 16x16 floor tom in silver sparkle for a rediculous price. Only the shell and mounted hardware. no legs or hoops. It matces the other drums and I figured why not go ahead and grab it and fix it up until I do or do not run across another Camco. It matches really nice and from the same era. I just recieved some hardware for my kick drum and some more on the way for the tom. I know all the hardware does not match but will work until I can eventually get it all together. Actually look's kind of cool but from a collectors view not quite there yet. The guy I got the floor tom from also had some A Zildjian new beat 14" hi hats. I had been looking for some for this set too as my 15" 2002's are a little large for jazz. You won't believe the deal I got on these two items. So here we go with this project.

Last edited by VIbes; 03-03-2010 at 04:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretch Floor Tom / Camco Drum Project

With the rest of the hardware and heads on.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Floor Tom / Camco Drum Project

Very cool VIbes! Those spurs on the kick drum are really unusual. Probably not for the period, but I have never seen that before.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Your right PB, those spurs were on there when the shells were given to me by Jim Corder of Corder Drums when I taught at his Music store in Huntsville AL. in 1978. He told me those were not the spurs that came on the drums. They had no lugs or hoops either. He had purchased the Fibes machinery and was manufacturing some nice drums useing Jasper shells.
    I think the drums had the curved spurs but I have seen older Camco's with that type spurs. and those exact spurs on ebay sold as Camco spurs.
    I have looked at the mount and there is a small hole just above and below the round mount that is on there now that fits the drilled holes for the recessing spurs. I am not sure if someone had a different mount on there or if the original mounts used those holes. I would like some nice spurs on there but not going to drill any new holes. I know these Chanute Camco's were manufactured between 1970-73. Maybe the mount is correct and I need some bent type spurs or if I can find a mount that fits the two holes and the hole for the curved spurs. If anyone knows or can find a good pic please let me know.
    Here is the 8x12 that I had put small Ludwig lugs on there 30 years ago. I did the same on the bass just to use it. If I knew what I know now I would have found some original lugs. The small lugs fit but I stupidly drilled another hole to make the large lugs fit on the Bass. The original lugs are so expensive now or I could get DW Lugs which are the same as the originals and also very expensive, I am just going to go with the Billy Blast round lugs to fill out the drums without having to do any more drilling. I can always hope to find lugs and eventually replace parts as I go without changeing or damageing the shells. Still hope to run across a Camco floor tom but the Gretsch was made the same years as the Camco's and fill out the shell pack nicely for now.

User Info Menu

Beautiful! Great find V.

User Info Menu

Finished with the shell pack. The only thing I might do is find some other spurs that fit the pre drilled holes on the bass drum.
    I am thrilled to have a nice vintage set like this. I have my other Ludwigs but these are a little older. Still on the look out for a Camco floor tom but love that Gretsch. All the drums were manufactured whithin 3 years of each other.
    70-73

Last edited by VIbes; 03-05-2010 at 05:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Consider me first in line for that silver Gretsch floor tom when you find your Camco.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Very Cool ! Good job, Vibes !!

User Info Menu

wow man i love the look of two lug types! you might have started the next awesome trend there in drummaking. beautiful drums all around, and congratulations!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Very nice work on that rescued kit!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Very cool Vibes! I love the color and that cool boom/tom stand. F/T

User Info Menu

VIbes,

How difficult was it to remove the old wrap on the Camcos? I am considering refurbishing my old kit.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

I didn't remove the wrap on any of these drums. Was just lucky to run across the matching Gretsch floor tom in silver sparkle like the Camco's.
    Always keep the original wrap on vintage sets if they are in decent shape.

I have removed wrap that was taped on a PDP set and it was pretty easy except the part where it was taped to the shell. gummy mess. I have heard and read about what a pain it is to clean the shells to get the glue off after removeing the wrap. Taped wraps are easier than glued wraps. There are many sites with instructions on removeing wraps and cleaning the shells.