Thread: Expanding genres

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Expanding genres

Recently I've been wanting to start expanding my genres beyond just rock, mainly in terms of drumming but also just listening in general. Trouble is, as a purely rock guy, when someone says "Oh, if you want to get into latin music, just start listening to latin." and I'm like "um......ok.....but where do I start?" So basically my question is, what are some good artists/bands to check out if I want to start getting into other styles of drumming? There's just so many out there that I'm not sure where to begin haha. The two main ones are funk and latin but I'm open to anything.

Thanks
    -Yo
    Last edited by yohin; 03-03-2010 at 09:13 PM.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Default Re: Expanding genres

Chili Peppers would be an easy transition from rock to funk.

User Info Menu

how about

blues, jazz, dub, reggae, fusion

User Info Menu

yohin i agree with cole i love playing along to the rhcp chad smith just has so much funk
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

For funk check out Galactic, Meters, New Master Sounds, Soulive, P-Funk Allstars, Robert Walter, Karl Denson, Garage-A-Trois, James Brown

For latin, it would probably be an easy transition to first jump into latin rock stuff like Santana or Los Lobos. Once you get the feel you can jump into the more traditional stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    For funk check out Galactic, Meters, New Master Sounds, Soulive, P-Funk Allstars, Robert Walter, Karl Denson, Garage-A-Trois, James Brown

For latin, it would probably be an easy transition to first jump into latin rock stuff like Santana or Los Lobos. Once you get the feel you can jump into the more traditional stuff.
    Agree with Gretschhead--I got into Latin starting with some serious listening and playing to Santana, then branching out to more traditional artists' work.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

hey welcome to my world! i play anything and everything with a drum beat to it! quite shamelessly i'll add! woo hoo!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

For Latin you can listen to Los Van Van and if you want move on more latin jazz kind of thing you can check out michael camilio, horacio hernandez, tito puente, antonio sanchez and dafnis prieto
    Drumming till my arms and feet go dead!!!