Thread: Religious percussion piece??

User Info Menu

Default Religious percussion piece??

Hello everone on drum chat. I a senior high school student and i need a little help one a matter. I go to a catholic school and as part of going to a catholic school you must study religious music. I have been given a assessment task that is a composistion that has to be religious based. It can be on any religion.

I was wondering if anyone could show me a site, video or audio file that has some religious percussion.
    Our weapons were our instruments
    Made from timber and steel
    We never yielded to conformity
    But stood like kings
    In a chariot that's riding on a
    Record wheel

User Info Menu

Default Re: Religious percussion piece??

Bata drumming is where you want to look for sure, lots of rituals and movements played for certain gods. Very religious.

User Info Menu

Sepultura, check with Bongobro too. He does hand drumming for his Catholic church, and he might have something that you could use.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I just posted this a few days ago in the off-topic forum. Its a Purim Gragger........I believe a Jewish percussion instrument.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...d-5713p81.html
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Hey Sepultura check out Exodus 15:20, Miriam leading the people playing the tambourine and dancing in celebration of being delivered out of captivity. Also, several references to playing with the loud cymbals in the Psalms.

frquent flyer Guest

My catholic parish's music group has a conga and djembe playing along with the usual guitars,piano and such...nice touch.

User Info Menu

On the subject of percussion (broadly speaking), don't forget bells where religious percussion is involved. You might want to also look into pellet bells (worn on vestments of priests, etc.). (Pellet bells are basically what we know of as those small "jingle bells"). Also there is the practice of using bells (as in monasteries, for instance) to regulate daily routine.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Religious percussion piece??

Hey, SEPULTURA, if you are looking for specific examples of percussion used in religious rites, leedy2 and Gretschhead gave you perhaps the best known examples with bata drumming. Voodoo, as practiced in Haiti, uses drumming also, although I'm not sure that's the kind of religion you're looking for in your assignment.

As you may have already gleaned from this section in particular, many of our hand-drummers use bongos, congas, etc. in church worship. As PB pointed out, I have played hand drums in my Catholic church's guitar ensemble for over seven years. There is currently relatively little music composed with hand percussion parts, although that's starting to change. Most all of what I do is adapt rhythms from other types of music (pop, rock, R & B, and Latin in particular) to fit existing compositions, and nine times out of ten the hand drums fit perfectly.

Protestant churches have been much more open to percussion in their music ministries, however. Just yesterday I attended a non-denominational church which had more hand drums in its musical inventory than mine! (Unfortunately, their group's percussionist was not there yesterday or I would have had a chance to talk with him a bit, in both speech and in percussion...)

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me...

BTW, welcome aboard, mate!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Hi BongoBro
    Here is a link to He Is Yahweh--a worship tune written by a percussionist.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hg6rwGwDCY"]YouTube- He Is Yahweh[/ame]

enter the worship circle was a group that used a lot of percussion in their early stuff. If you can find the song Be Near To Me or see some of their early videos . Their later stuff is more lyrical and less percussive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SEPULTURA View Post
    Hello everone on drum chat. I a senior high school student and i need a little help one a matter. I go to a catholic school and as part of going to a catholic school you must study religious music. I have been given a assessment task that is a composistion that has to be religious based. It can be on any religion.

I was wondering if anyone could show me a site, video or audio file that has some religious percussion.
    Aside from complex religious drumming of Afro drived religions like Santeria, Candombe,Macumba,Voodoo etc....could you do a hybrid re arranged version of a relgious hymm or song ? For example : Peruvian Catholics have a huge prosession ( the largest in the world ) called " Senior de los milagros" aka Lord of miracles " Its is usualy sung acapella in processions but I have heard it sung as a criollo ( Creole ) Vals ( Waltz in 3/4 time ) and was acooustic Gtr & Cajon . Its easy to play a rhythm on cajon & create a drumset like rhythm with the tonal varieties of a Peruvian box Cajon or any drum for that matter. As long as you mention the culture from which it derives ? It may be a valid option that meets the criteria of the assignment ? Ask the instructor ? For a great Cajon demo in context w/ what I mentioned...search You Tube for my friend " Susan Baca" who is a grammy winner & is known as a cultural musicologist / cultural anthropologist and a diva of Afro Peruvian music & the Criolla music of Lima Peru. Search a song performed by Susana Baca called " Senior de los milagros ". Any of her tunes may include Peruvian Cajon ! I'd post it to you but am to young in this site to know how The Cajon player is Juan Medrano Cotito, and also performing various perc is Hugo Bravo, they are both highly involved w/ Afro Peruvian music & dance cultural performance groups. Good luck..... Ernesto Pediangco
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 03-23-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added text