Thread: Good kit for a beginner

User Info Menu

Default Good kit for a beginner

Hi everyone. I wonder if some can help me? A friend's son is very keen to start playing drums. His father wishes to get the lad a good kit but obviously not one that is far too good for a novice. In short, he's looking for a medium range kit - one that will keep both the son interested and the bank manager happy. I'd appreciate any ideas that you have.

All the best
    Andy

User Info Menu

i love how you talk...where r u from?....anywho....pretty much anything in the 500 dollar range is gonna be just fine....and really even most drums in the 300 dollar range are plenty good for beginners...that's 300-500 usd....and sometimes if your lucky you can find a good used set for cheep...pretty much any one of these brands will be good: Ludwig, pearl, tama.....to name a few...happy hunting...

User Info Menu

you can get a beginners 5 piece kit by percussion performance from many places. It comes with base, hihat, cymbal, 2 toms and 1 floor tom, snare and stool costing £150

User Info Menu

Thats good information guys!! Welcome Morrid, glad to have you. Welcome JimGem 9....glad to have you as well.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Even a cheap set can sound great when using good quality heads and proper tuning. I think having a good sound will be the key to him staying interested.
    There are lots of cheaper sets new on ebay. I would say that is what I would do to start with. Then if he moves up to more quality then he still has a back up practice set if needed. Thats what I do. Leave the cheaper one at home and take the good one to the practice pad.