Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone still listen to vinyl??

User Info Menu

Default Does anyone still listen to vinyl??

Inspired by the "Guilty Pleasures" thread, does anyone still listen to albums?
    Most classic Rock was recorded on vinyl, so I thought some people may still have some records from the past...

I know I do.....
    When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.

User Info Menu

My sixteen year old son played a really cool band for me - it was Iron Maiden. He was surprised I knew the words to the songs and could table drum them. Then I showed him the shelf of records in the garage and all of the Maiden albums I have. I'd like to listen to them again but don't know what to play them on - LOL.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CyberComa
    My sixteen year old son played a really cool band for me - it was Iron Maiden. He was surprised I knew the words to the songs and could table drum them. Then I showed him the shelf of records in the garage and all of the Maiden albums I have. I'd like to listen to them again but don't know what to play them on - LOL.

We used to call them turn tables, or record players. LOL j/k man..

I picked this up from a used store for $6.00....

(most albums can be had for about a $1)

Mixer/receiver

Bought this on Ebay..

User Info Menu

EXIT STAGE LEFT YEESSSS

I HAVE THAT ON VINYL AS WELL

My friend has a lot of old records that he plays from time to time. Cymbals are recorded and sound better on vinyl in my opinion. Plus for our real fav bands, we buy there vinyl also. Cause that's what us nerds do.
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

I have the entire Led Zeppelin discography on vinyl, and the entire Kiss discography, as well as countless Blue Oyster Cult, Foghat, Peter Frampton, some April Wine, etc, etc, bequeathed to me by one of my brothers.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Oh, but I don't listen to them. They are wrapped up, in a secure place. Besides, I listened to them PLENTY when I was growing up, and I have most of that on CD now anyway, lol....
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amputechture
    EXIT STAGE LEFT YEESSSS

I HAVE THAT ON VINYL AS WELL

My friend has a lot of old records that he plays from time to time. Cymbals are recorded and sound better on vinyl in my opinion. Plus for our real fav bands, we buy there vinyl also. Cause that's what us nerds do.

I love the sound of records. When you crank them, you almost get a feedback from the needle. It sounds awesome!!!!

User Info Menu

I'm using Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards as a mousepad right now. My uncle is a huge fan of vinyl. He's got so many records.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Ya often they sound much better than CD's in my opinion.

The mixing ppl do today is often embarrasing.

Take the new and most recent rush album.

*GAG*
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Cool Does anyone still listen to vinyl?

Amp, vinyl seems to have a "warmer" sound quality to it...kinda like the difference between acoustic drums and electronic drums...and while more and more classic tunes are on CDs, mp3s, iPods, etc., a few are still available only on vinyl...and some new groups record on vinyl for that retro sound, too...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

My dad listens to Vinyl. I like listening to old Beatles records and the Doors. I have a couple vinyl records hanging on my wall. Soon to hang more =]
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

I have a few vinyls from yesteryear. I recently got a call from my ex wife who said she had found some items of mine in storage. I got back a Queen and a Mott the Hoople album. She said said she had found other items but burned them. (Now why did we split?) I also had a niece who came to visit and wanted me to hear this really cool band called Aerosmith. She had a CD but at the time I had no CD player. (Maybe fuel for the fire.) I showed her the Aerosmith album and she freaked out. She had never seen an album nor a turntable. We jammed like kids. Aaahhh, life is made of little things. "Now whip out your big 10 inch, record of a band that plays the blues..........."

User Info Menu

Default Vinyl on a good playback system rules!!

I have several Beatles, Led Zep LP's incl. Sgt. Peppers, Stairway to Heaven, The Police - all, and qute a few other classic stuff ie. The Fixx, The Romantics, etc. I can attest that my BLue Oyster Cult Live LP sounds better than the cd - more dynamic with better bass and highs, it's one of the best sounding LP's in my collection. Of course it helps to have a nice playback system and not a wal-mart or best buy set up.

User Info Menu

I have a bunch of old vinyl but sadly I haven't bothered un-packing my player :(.

EDIT: It was my dads vinyl player but he's got most of his vinyls on CD now so he gave it to me as a birthday present this year, the albums I own however are all mine.

User Info Menu

Alot of indie records are pressed on vinyl as well as cd's these days. It's making a resurgance (sp?). One of the larger indie labels (Saddle Creek) presses all their releases on vinyl and cd. Then give you the digital download for free when you buy vinyl. Anything I want from them I get this way.

User Info Menu

Ive done Djing and scratching a really really little bit before.. It was fun :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I still have my collection of LPs, some of which aren't out in CD. Still play them occasionally.

User Info Menu

i inherited about 2000 records from my grandpa when he died. he used to play rythm behind the legendary les paul in the late 40s and was a music NUT.
    the collection is almost all jazz. it varies thru all genres of jazz and a bunch of old texas swing like bob wills and the texas playboys.
    i try to make it a point to listen to an album a day and am not even halfway thru.

User Info Menu

Cool. What a nice gift!

User Info Menu

I've got quite a collection of LP's. Don't play them too much, but it's nice to know they're there. To me, the selling point for CD's was that they take up less storage space, and that they last longer. The truth is that CD's seem to have a life span, too. Might get a new needle for the ol' turntable and spin a few platters!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

CD's can be repaired PB - I had this one CD that I had ripped myslef, a compilationg of songs from other Albums I owned - anyway, some or another it became so badly scratched nothign could read it - I mean it was either ejected as "no disc", would play nothing but a white noise/static sound, or was considered "UNREADABLE" by the player - didn't matter what player. You could visibly see deep, deep scratches. Anyway, the guys at me local video shop own a "Disc Joeky" disc cleaning ssyetm. Expensive piece of kit, but necassray nowadays for a rental shop with DVD's, can't just keep throwing out and replacing DVD's. They ran my disc (a CD-R mind you, so already not as reliable as an actual CD) through it a few times, now it plays fine - can't even tell (unless you look) that there was ever any damage to it. Try doing THAT with vinyl.

I also don't get why people think the quality of sound is better on Vinyl - it may sound better, as in your perception of what sounds good, what you prefer, but quality of it doesn't make sense to me how that could be possible.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

theres a warm and fuzzy feeling one gets from listening to old vinal, but i could never say vinal sounds better than cd.

User Info Menu

I don't know think vinyl sounds better, just different. When you crank up a stereo with a record, you get almost a reverb effect. It's much more profound on say a jukebox. Sounds awesome with the classic rock bands. Actually, if I turn it up too loud with too much bass I can get feedback. (sounds like I'm at a concert!)

User Info Menu

Ask any audiophile. Vinly sounds best then tape, cd, digital. That's fact.

User Info Menu

those same people will make the same arguement about reel to reel recording over digi too. most of those people are not professional sound men or recording engineers. a good majority (not all) of the people i know with that opinion are either old guys that did thier last recording in 1970 or indie rock retro guys that never owned a record till they got to college and somebody told em it was cool.