Thread: Trying out for college snare line

User Info Menu

Default Trying out for college snare line

Hey, DC it's been a while, I've been very busy with college. I want to try out for my college snare line next marching season. My trad grip is fine. My main issue is that my left hand is weak,especially when i do doubles. How can i strenthen my left hand and is it better to practice on a pillow or drum pad?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trying out for college snare line

Good luck stokes! And about strengthening your left hand, the only thing I can think of is repetition - whether on a pillow or a pad. You'll just have to muscle it through I guess. I can't say that my left hand is that strong but it can match up to what my right hand is doing
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I believe repition is the key word.......You have been here long enough to know we tell newbies its all about practice practice practice.

You are far from newbie with the snare and Im also going to suggest that when trying out its not only about being technical and playing the right beat but stage presentation too.

Make sure to stand tall and straight and dont make faces etc.You need to play good and look good.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Hi All.

I'm pretty new to Drum Chat... (I've been lurking in the shadows for years, but never joined...)
    ...but one thing I like to think that I know pretty well is Marching Percussion.

I would practice on a pad rather than a pillow... if you want to work your chops, use the reverse side of a real feel or vic firth pad... You will work harder, but it will still offer some rebound.
    If you don't have a pad, wrap an old phone book in duct tape and use that... it offers some needed rebound.

Additionally, an important thing to consider rather than "muscle weakness" is stick control. Make your downward stroke and rebound equally deliberate. If you can, practice by looking in a mirror... this way you can see your form while not looking down at your hands. Make sure the motion of your stick comes from the wrist, rather than your elbow. This results in a stroke that looks like you are "slapping" the stick onto the head.

Find out what the audition requirements are for you college's line, and practice them. Chances are there are going to be paradiddles and rolls - (practice these exercises slowly at first and then work your way faster and faster all the while ensuring that your left stick is following a consistent path with each stroke.)

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Just do 8ths for as long as you can with the left hand.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

The advice you've been given can't be faulted, but you really need to analyze where you are experiencing problems with your double stroke for advice. Is the problem with the first or second stroke of the double? Is the problem with transitioning from your right to left hand, left to right or both? Is the problem with accenting the second stroke of the double? At what speed do you have the control to accent any stroke at will while playing a double stroke? Can you relate the same problem to other rudiments? For example, single or double paradiddles.

Give this a try also. Turn your left hand over and play a double stroke. Do you find you have better control with your fore and middle finger when playing this way?

There's a lot going on when playing rudiments, and the difficulties people have is not consistent. Your best bet though is to contact someone who is currently playing in the line and see what they have to say.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Riverr1!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thank you Pastor Bob. I don't spend much time in chat rooms, or online, bu I don't think anyone has ever said welcome. So again, thank you.

User Info Menu

Riverr1, you will find that Drum Chat is a very different place to hang out. I am sure that this will not be your last welcome.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

dave0549jv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Riverr1, you will find that Drum Chat is a very different place to hang out. I am sure that this will not be your last welcome.
    +1 Heres your second official welcome Riverrr1!

My left hand is significantly dumber than my right. not weaker in terms of muscle strenght so much, but stick control definately lacks there. I've just been practicing twice as much with the left. it seems to be helping. Slowly but surely... lol.

User Info Menu

Thank you also Dave.

I wrote this once but it didn't show up. Not sure what I did wrong.

Not to hijack Stoke's discussion here, and I sure don't have all the answers, but you might try this Dave.

Assuming you are right handed, play this sticking, RLR RLR RLR etc. Go for that loping or gallop groove/feel. Then play the opposite, LRL LRL LRL etc. making sure to achieve the same loping or galloping groove.

What differences do you notice? Practice this and you will get quick results with improvement in your left hand.

I was once told that how fast you can play this sticking with your non-dominant hand is a true measure of how fast you really are. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it is a good exercise for the weaker hand.