Thread: Edrums and real cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default Edrums and real cymbals?

Who does this? I am in the process of adding 1-2 real cymbals to my DTXPlorer. My kit only comes with 2 cymbal inputs which stinks. Anyone else do this? Love it more than the Ecymbals?

-Ben

User Info Menu

Default Re: Edrums and real cymbals?

My drummer keeps his acoustic set in my practice room. He has an electronic set that is his portable set. He keeps talking about building a kit like that.
    I would want at least a real hi-hat. I use a lot of expression on the hi-hat. I haven't found an electronic that sounds and plays like I want!

User Info Menu

That's how I have my Roland kit set up. I didn't like the feel and response I got from the e-cymbals so I surrounded my kit with all my Zildjians and now I'm happy. It also saved me a lot of money from having to buy a whole set of e-cymbals and left those inputs open to use for other effects. There's another bonus too...fewer wires on the kit. I did invest in a couple of condenser mics and stands for overheads so when I want to run through a PA system I can pick up the cymbals better.

MAPEX - Orion Classic Series / Transparent Diamond Blue
    ROLAND - TD-8, PD-9's, PD-7's
    GIBRALTAR - Rack system
    IRON COBRA - Double pedals
    ZILDJIAN - Custom Z's, Custom A's
    EVANS - Hydraulic heads
    El Cheapo - sticks

User Info Menu

A lot of folks do this (see posts above, too, obviously). A key reason for e-cymbals is the noise level. Also obviously, if you use acoustic cymbals, the sound reduction is just not relevant unless you are using dampeners (practice pads) over the cymbals.

Some also do a convert of an acoustic set and convert acoustic cymbals to e-cymbals to maximize the "real" feel of the acoustic cymbals. Reviewing some of the instructions on such converts, this can involve taking two low-end acoustic cymbals, putting layer of adhesive between and fixing them together, adding trigger. (Don't recommend using expensive a-cymbals on such a thing in any event).
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

i know this is 100 years later, but how is it with the real cymbals? I've got the same ekit and want to do the same...

User Info Menu

Man, people were doing this way back in the 80's and early 90's when you used to see people gig and record with those Simmons hexagonal drums....

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

yea, i know its possible, but here are the differences:

1. none of them use a yammy dtx500
    2. they are professionals with amazing- if dated- sound equipment (I use headphones or a guitar amp a friend lent me)
    3. i won't comment on the style of music beyond it is not my taste.

But I appreciate the effort