Thread: Alesis pads interchangablity?

User Info Menu

Default Alesis pads interchangablity?

Hi folks, new to the forum.

I am using an Alesis DM6 kit at home for practice and i'm thinking about gradually replacing the rubber pads with mesh head pads (LPD4 or DPDM5P). These pads i think are made as expansion pads for the DM5 pro kit, but will they work on my DM6?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Alesis pads interchangablity?

Tc, just a bit of advice - I have the DM5 pro and the LPD4 pads are DEFINITELY NOT mesh heads. They are mylar heads over foam with a trigger underneath. Just had a quick look at the DPDM5P and it's the same with them.

Just a point to note before you jump in with those and get something you weren't expecting.

Back to your original question, it looks like they should work if you do decide to get them - the connection is the same and the Alseis website says the DM6 is compatible with other Alesis drum products, but you could email them to be sure.
    "Playing guitar, that's all great and everything, but hitting stuff - awesooooooooooooome". Chad Smith.

User Info Menu

I have an alesis dm5 module and im running a home made piezzo on the bass drum ion pads for the cymbals and ddrum hot shot triggers for the toms .. it seems to me like the alesis modules will take about any input you can find to send a signal

p.s i only have about 2 days experience with my dm5 but so far everything is groovy.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Most modules and pads are interchangeable.

When you get to the stereo pads where you have a separate rim shot and center pad or a two stage cymbal you will need to be sure you are using stereo cables or you won't get one or the other effect.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I would say YES. I have a DM5 pro kit and just added two "unbranded" extra cymbals and worked good. The inputs are standard jack, so it would not be a problem.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Ok, thanks everyone. I went ahead and bought an LPD4 dual zone pad as a replacement for my poor, over-battered snare. The mylar-over-foam (thanks for the heads up, rmjjjt) is an improvement on acoustic noise levels but the wife is still complaining!! Back to the mesh head plan, i think.

So, any suggestions as to which/whos mesh head pads i could replace my DM6 rubber pads with, one by one... on a reasonable budget - those Roland PD85s look nice but hey, i'm a student teacher - £165 is looking a little out of reach when you times it by 4!!