Thread: Mapex snare throw off.

User Info Menu

Default Mapex snare throw off.

All

I'm going to wrap my mapex m-birch snare and give it a few up grades, does anyone know a decent throw off that i can use without having to Drill new holes in the snare, The one that's on there is poor quality, And lugs too.
    it's 14" x 5.5" , 8 lugs.

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex snare throw off.

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    All

I'm going to wrap my mapex m-birch snare and give it a few up grades, does anyone know a decent throw off that i can use without having to Drill new holes in the snare, The one that's on there is poor quality, And lugs too.
    it's 14" x 5.5" , 8 lugs.

Cheers Mark
    Made a call for you since I'm in the U.S. Talked to Mapex USA in Tenn today here's what he had to say:

Orginal Mapex M birch snare throw off #022-17-20A has holes up and down and a wide hole spread.

To upgrade to better throw-off, Mapex rep suggested a ProM or Saturn throw off part number #0630-1760A is the throw off to use as upgrade but the holes are much narrower than the Mapex M birch snare throw off holes. Maybe able to use just one of the existing holes but may have to drill out others to fit.

BP throw offs are side by side mounted snare throw off and entirely new set holes would have to be drilled.

Mapex rep said old vintage snare are upgraded to better throw by glueing in a small piece of wood to create an "aux" block attachment (as he put it) and then you can attach the snare throw off to the block of wood rather than drilling a bunch of new holes into the shell.

I hope this helps in some way.....

late8
    Last edited by late8; 03-08-2010 at 04:32 PM.

User Info Menu

wow!! Late8 cheers for that, didn't expect anyone to go to that trouble, Many Many thanks for that, I'll get on there site and buy one.

Thanks Again

Mark

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

wow!! Late8 cheers for that, didn't expect anyone to go to that trouble, Many Many thanks for that, I'll get on there site and buy one.

Thanks Again

Mark
    My pleasure! Glad to have helped.

cheers!

User Info Menu

Sticky!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Well, I don't know if this would even be remotely possible, but I heard DW's new magnetic throw-offs are absolutely phenomenal.

User Info Menu

Response from Mapex.

Thanks for the enquiry,

I am afraid that the only throw off's that i currently have in stock are the Orion / Black Panther ones.
    As the M-Birch has been discontinued for well over a year now we no longer carry those parts as standard stock, with regards to the Saturn Throw off, you are the first person to ever ask me for one....they normally never fail. As a result of that i would have to special order that one as well.

Special orders take approximately 16 weeks to deliver and you will need to place the order through your local dealer. As the lead time will be the same for either the M-Birch or Saturn throw off i will leave it to you to decide which one to go for.

I have to be honest, i am not 100% sure that a Saturn throw off would fit the M-Birch......it all depends if the fitting line up as they can vary, i will ask the factory and be back in touch.

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

i might have to drill some new holes in my snare after all, i'll see what the cost is going to be for the throw off then make a decision which i'm going to get.
    Last edited by markthechuck; 03-10-2010 at 10:53 AM.

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

i might have to drill some new holes in my snare after all, i'll see what the cost is going to be for the throw off then make a decision which i'm going to get.
    Glad you're working this out!

User Info Menu

there's a retro fit kit for trick throwoffs if that's your cup of tea.

User Info Menu

you have no idea how good the orion's throw off is......................its fickn epic!

User Info Menu

The Dunnett R class Throw offs have adjustable screw positions to adapt to various manufactures hole spacing. They are incrediable throw offs. I retro fitted one to my PDP snare drum, however the hole spacing was still too wide from the original throw off, so I made a bracket out of aluminum and them polished it out to look like chrome and made it to fit the proper hole spacing on my snare so that I didn't have to drill new holes. Then I attached the R class throw off to the bracket with polished stainless steel button head screws. It turned out great and looks like a factory installation and works beautifully. On a side note, one plus to attaching the throw off to the bracket was that it put the throw off out far enough from the shell that it cleared the increased diameter of the maple hoops. I didn't have to notch the batter side rim to clear the throw off lever. You can see it on the drivers seat picture thread under my name on page 43, Look at my snare closely and you can see what I did.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 05-13-2010 at 10:14 AM.