Thread: Recording Bands Live

User Info Menu

Default Recording Bands Live

Hi Everyone,

I want to start recording some of the live shows that I go to. I'm not looking for studio, or even release quality live recordings, it's really just for documentation of the live shows and for sharing with a few friends. I'ved tried taking my laptop and a USB mic to the shows, but that's bulky and I have to look for a power outlet, and just generally too difficult.

So, my question is whether anyone has had any experience using those portable digital recording stations with built in condensor mics, like the Olympus LS-11, Tascam DR07, or the Sony PCM-D50, to record live bands and what they thought of the quality. Has anyone used one of these in the past?
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording Bands Live

It feels weird being the only respondant to my own post, but, for the record - I ended up buying a Sony PCM-D50 digital recorded, and it sounds INCREDIBLE. I can't believe that little box can pick up such detail. I just put a little compression and EQ on the files, and all of the sudden I've got suprisingly clear live recordings.

However, I have learned that the quality of the recording is very dependant upon your position in the room. If you're too far back you get a lot of room and conversation noise.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording Bands Live

How much did you pick that up for?
    14x6.5 Pearl Reference 20ply Snare
    3 Piece Yamaha Rock Tour Kit
    Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride
    Sabian AAX 18" Crash
    Sabian Vault 18" Crash
    Sabian AAX 14" Stage Hats

User Info Menu