Thread: Quinto purchase

frquent flyer Guest

Default Quinto purchase

Using my tax refund money ,I ordered a LP galaxcy Quinto. So next week I will have the full set of Giovanni Hildago Galaxcy congas. My only issue is that I have a nice toca quinto now that sounds real good. We shall see if the Galaxcy quinto sounds better. So much for vanity.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Quinto purchase

Hard to beat the LOOK of the Hidalgo models as well as the sound. Look forward to your update. Incidentally,the Pearl Elites also sound very good.

frquent flyer Guest

Iwas impressed with the Meinl series as well as the matador. I have'nt seen the pearl congas,I 'm sure they're fine. There are not many stores that feature congas here in Buffalo. Guitar center has several entry level brands and their prices are a lot more for the galaxcys than what I had to pay. Two hundred dollars more per conga.

User Info Menu

You may be waiting more than a week... I ordered a LP Salsa Quinto at the end of January and still have not received it yet!

frquent flyer Guest

All the LP congas come from a central location in Tennessee,except of course a particular store has one in stock;but Tennessee is the hub.I know that my quinto has been shipped.;now I must quiet the lady of the house who always objects in some way to my getting new"toys" although she has been rather accepting about my recent purchases.

User Info Menu

"where did you order from it should take you no more than 10 day to get"

I contacted LP in NJ via email, and Bob graciously responded. He said that the DW quinto was on "back order" from the factory overseas. It appears that either it is a model that is rarely ordered, or so popular it was sold out here in the States?!

frquent flyer Guest

Thats correct;everything is related to Fender.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frquent flyer View Post
    Using my tax refund money ,I ordered a LP galaxcy Quinto. So next week I will have the full set of Giovanni Hildago Galaxcy congas. My only issue is that I have a nice toca quinto now that sounds real good. We shall see if the Galaxcy quinto sounds better. So much for vanity.
    Giovani models are olny as good as the heads that are on them. Since LP shells are reinforced inside w/ fiberglass & in the case of Giovani's being a med hardwood rather than the softter so called Asian / Siam Oak ( what a joke ) You have one of the strongest wood shells in production. But...strong & heavy equate to less warmth & more pronounced high end tones. Its difficult to even get rich bass tones from theses shells. But...its all in the Heads ! Thin heads make even a great drum sound w/ dis harmonic over tones vs a rich focused tone....all the volume from the drum & / or head wont make it sound more musical !? Check the head thickness & color of your best sounding drum w/ an Asian Bison head ( like your Toca Quinto ) try to match all your Giovani's w/ simular color & thickness to balance them as a set. There is little quality matching of heads from the factory . Heads are premolded on molds & stacked in bins, mounted to drums that are boxed separately & shiped randomly to warehouse distributors. they arrive according to modle type & product number & you may not get well matched heads in a set weather u buy as a set or collect them in time ...like you aquired your Quinto seperately. Now...its a matter of personal taste in heads...thickness, Asian vs Domestic cow or steer hides, Muleskins from Latin America ( we dont breed mules in the states since we dont use them as beast of burden ) or...Plastic Remo or Evans heads, FiberSkin or NuSkin plastic etc. Its such a blessing to have always tucked heads for myself & others. I can make them as perfect as I can manage if I find the rawhides at a price & quality to my personal liking ( its all personal ) nIf your Giovani's were mine : " I'd order a matched set of flat skins from JCR perc, in Bronx, N.Y. who imports skins from Latin America...specificly for Congas,Bongos & Tamboras ( Bata drums as well ) Also...check w/ Skin on Skin drums...they do same. Giovani head sizes are mounted to larger crowns & skinwires than standard LP sizes. So...only heads tucked on Giovani drums will fit Giovani's. Store bought LP heads...must be specific to Giovani's. ( not to be confused w/ Galaxy model which uses standard lp sizes but look identical to Giovani ) Giovani's just a name to push sales...has little signifigance otherwise. Good Luck... Ernesto Pediangco
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 03-23-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: mis spelled words.

User Info Menu

Just to confirm what Ernesto said about matching the drum heads. The last time I reskinned my Valje's I went to a rawhide wholesaler and bought the entire hide. That way all of the drums where skinned with the same animal. The set has a very together sound. I would probably do it again.