Thread: Easy exercises to do one-handed?

User Info Menu

Default Easy exercises to do one-handed?

So, I'm learning. Very slowly, but I am learning; mostly just by going through rudiments on a practice pad every day. Then I had to be an idiot and end up face-down in the middle of the main road this morning, and take all the skin off the palm of my left hand. So I can't use it withough spraying blood everywhere at the moment, and its going to be a few days at least before I can bend my hand around a drumstick again.

Thus, I need some simple (very simple) exercises that I can do with just my right hand so that I can keep up some kind of practice. Any ideas?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Easy exercises to do one-handed?

Here you go. I found this for ya!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3iYVcdCwxI&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3iYVcdCwxI&NR=1[/ame]

I hope your wounds heal fast!
    Last edited by late8; 03-12-2010 at 11:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Yeah, ouch! Sorry to hear about that.

One excersize I like to do (and by "like" I mean hate), is accented eight notes at varying speeds.

1 2 3 1 2 3
    or

1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2

My absolute favorite is to do the accented threes, but move the accent one beat later each measure (don't pause between bars)

1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3
    1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3
    1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3
    Once you get the feel, start keeping time with your feet on the 'ones'.

Then, if you are feeling saucy, after two times through, cut the pattern in half, then in half again the next time. When you get to the last level, it will give you a polyrhythm feel between your feet and hands.

The last pattern would be:

ll:1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 l 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 :ll
    ll:K - - K - - K - - l K - - K - - K - - :ll
    (playing the kick on beat 1 creates a 4 over 3 feel)

I'm not so sure this or the one-handed roll is in the "simple" category though...

I won't go into how to do this pattern with alternating hands and doubling the non-accented notes, creating 5-stroke rolls...or flamming the accented notes...or any number of variations and combinations that this type of pattern can be used for. Maybe I'll post a video someday...it reads more complex than it would look (but it sounds way cool!)

User Info Menu

ive been working on that gravity blast a bit these days, and its a suminabich.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Allandra View Post
    So, I'm learning. Very slowly, but I am learning; mostly just by going through rudiments on a practice pad every day. Then I had to be an idiot and end up face-down in the middle of the main road this morning, and take all the skin off the palm of my left hand. So I can't use it withough spraying blood everywhere at the moment, and its going to be a few days at least before I can bend my hand around a drumstick again.

Thus, I need some simple (very simple) exercises that I can do with just my right hand so that I can keep up some kind of practice. Any ideas?
    ]

Thats a bum deal falling like that.

I like the vid that L8 posted for ya. Thats a good one.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey