Thread: What causes blemishes?

frquent flyer Guest

Default What causes blemishes?

Two out of three new congas have blemishes or scratches on the skINS. What causes this to happen?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What causes blemishes?

Are you talking about the gristle? or scratches made by the fat shaved on the under side or hair shaved on the top side? Sometimes during this process they nick the skin, the animals them self's will scratch or injure their skin during their life time. I have had skins with small thorns even a bee stinger. Its nice when you can pick out your own.
    L4C

User Info Menu

For natural skin blemishes, this may not be something that was "caused" (as in the case of staining or rubbing during or after manufacturing). In such blemish cases, this may be part of the original skin. Most manufacturers inspect the skin to identify blemishes and avoid selecting that portion for the conga head. That said, part of the natural skin situation. Others may have other insights. For scratches, that seems to be less of a "natural background condition" situation. On my congas or djembes, no scratches, though I have one djembe of African origin with a blemish.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tadman View Post
    For natural skin blemishes, this may not be something that was "caused" (as in the case of staining or rubbing during or after manufacturing). In such blemish cases, this may be part of the original skin. Most manufacturers inspect the skin to identify blemishes and avoid selecting that portion for the conga head. That said, part of the natural skin situation. Others may have other insights. For scratches, that seems to be less of a "natural background condition" situation. On my congas or djembes, no scratches, though I have one djembe of African origin with a blemish.
    to much candy

frquent flyer Guest

One has a couple of scratches from a nail or something,the other has a cloudy mass about the size of a quarter.For my quinto which will arrive this week ,I asked the salesman to be sure to select a conga without any marks. It will be interesting to find out if I get a drum blem and scratch free.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    to much candy
    That would be coffee....
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

frquent flyer Guest

So these kind of marks are not uncommon?

User Info Menu

Cool Re: What causes blemishes?

Actually, you're all right. Leather being, literally, skin, it's subject to scratches and scrapes while the animal is living and it's also subject to nicks if not handled properly during the skinning and tanning processes.

Unless it compromises the sound quality, I wouldn't worry about it!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frquent flyer View Post
    Two out of three new congas have blemishes or scratches on the skINS. What causes this to happen?
    Most commonly, your drums have Asian water buffolo heads ( bison ) and its the same rawhides as imported dog chew toys from pet stores. These heads have been in rendering piles & have natural stretches in the fibers. Some heads may be clear amber colored & stretched fibers will show up as lighter tan colored marks. These blemmishes are natural. Over stretched heads get frosty tan or whitish. But...can sound warmer and feel softer on the hands...a little bit. Dont worry about cosmectic blemmishes on heads unless they are thin heads & a potential tear may result. Thats the benifit of mechanicaly tunned ethnic drums, u can easily change heads that are damaged, or simply just to sound check a head you may wanna keep on the drum. all drum shells are just resonators...the head is the source of the voice. A good head is worth protecting & caring for, Drum shell appearance is cosmetic. If you care for your drum properly...both the head & drum shell will be clean & undamaged. Blemmishes in the natural hides or skins in a neglegible thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Actually, you're all right. Leather being, literally, skin, it's subject to scratches and scrapes while the animal is living and it's also subject to nicks if not handled properly during the skinning and tanning processes.

Unless it compromises the sound quality, I wouldn't worry about it!
    I agree w/ bongobro, I have recieved rawhides / flat skins from domestic cattle in Latin America that had the old fashioned branding iron brands scared into the hides, They sounded great ! Raw hide is actualy damm strong & resiliant as long as it is not soggy wet which does lossen the fibers. Just dont buy a hide tha is stretched WHITE already unless you want a soft & muted sound. LP tried these WHITE heads for a while & everyone compared them to sounding like cheap tourist drums you buy at beach resorts in third world countries where the hides were rotting at a rendering pile for many days. Get a somewhat translucent skin, regardless of color...that shows the integrity of the fibers in the hides / skins.