Thread: Drum Stick Tricks

User Info Menu

Default Drum Stick Tricks

Hey ALL

Just wondering if you guys use any stick tricks, or twirling. Like do you guys twirl your sticks (neil peart style) throw your sticks up in the air and catch them, spin/twirl sticks between fingers like a poker chip, do you throw sticks while you play?

Just wondering if anyone other than me, does any stick tricks, because it seems like a lot of people think that flare is arrogant and stupid, which I don't understand

Any one else got opinions?
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Depends on the song....if you can do the tricks and not miss a beat, I say, why not? In my opinion, it adds a little flair and showmanship.......people can say what they want, but I think Tommy Lee is one of the most entertaining drummers to watch, because he does tricks....also, if you listen, Tommy is solid as a rock....always in the pocket, never misses a beat.....I say, go for it!
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

just don't let the stick hit you in the eye.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with a little showmanship. Check this out:

http://store.drumbum.com/stick-flip-demo-video.htm

User Info Menu

::sigh::.......Tom, Tom, Tom, always the consummate salesman........

lol
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

lol... that's the other part of my job.

User Info Menu

tommy lang is a god when it comes to stick tricks. i can twirl worth crap
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Nothing wrong with a little showmanship. Check this out:

http://store.drumbum.com/stick-flip-demo-video.htm

What is he hitting thats making the sticks flip? Like he swings them down at his legs or something, and they spring up

User Info Menu

For some reason I'm forbidden from viewing your link drummer. This happens quite a bit, it's really annoying.

I'm pretty sure I can answer your question though Ch33zz. He's probably doing a rim-shot and landing it in a perfect postion while letting it go. I've done it a couple of times by accident.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I can twirl the sticks several different ways and i sometimes do that while playing. I wouldn't throw them up in the air though because i always seem to catch backwards. I don't think it's arrogant though. I think people who say that are jealouse of the awesome ability to look cool while playing.
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz
    What is he hitting thats making the sticks flip? Like he swings them down at his legs or something, and they spring up
    look at the product information it's like a weird device, im gettin one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    For some reason I'm forbidden from viewing your link drummer. This happens quite a bit, it's really annoying.
    HB, other people from Australia have complained about it. I'll mention it to Admin and see if we can get it fixed somehow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat
    look at the product information it's like a weird device, im gettin one
    It's called the Stick Flip.

They carry another neat little item for stick twirling. It's got rings built into the sides of drumsticks so it makes it easier to twirl. They're called Groove Sticks:

User Info Menu

The thing about twirling sticks while you play is having to play everything with your left hand while you're twirling the right stick - it doesn't work in every song. To me it kid of means that you're saying that you've learned this song so well that you can pull something like this off while you play it.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

i think that the tricks and aids to help you spin your sticks is stupid.

Just learn to throw and spin them yourselves. You have always got sticks in your hand so just learn to spin them. It takes a while to learn but its like riding a bike you never forget. And when you do learn its very easy.
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

User Info Menu

i agree with amp,
    it is kinda cheating

User Info Menu

Yea, it's all gimmicky. It's not for everybody... including me. I don't use any of it. But some people like that kind of thing and of course that's why it's on the market.

I would disagree that it's cheating though. To me, cheating is doing something you're not supposed to be doing like cheating on a test. Who cares if someone uses a ring on their sticks to get a twirling effect. I certainly don't. If it makes it more easy for them, so be it. I look at it like power steering on my car. Is that cheating? If you've ever tried to drive a car without power steering, you'd know what I was talking about.

User Info Menu

twirling is a skill that drummers have that shows practice and dedication. i think using rings and devices like that is kind of like mocking those who work really hard to get things like that down to mastery.

User Info Menu

Actually drummer, my car hasn't got power steering and I wouldn't have it any other way. I like having the feel of the road and some feedback. Too much of today's cars have overzealous power steering that dislocates you from the road.

I think every drummer has time to master stick twirling and such, I mean, how often are you just sitting there, waiting for your band to tune or you can't play because they're talking about the riffs or something. Put that time to use! And develop your showmanship!

Also, I use some stick twirls and stuff, but it's mainly in the breaks where I don't have to play anything.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

It's not like the power steering thing really.

It's like 32nd said. It takes dedication and time to learn it. No matter how hard you try, cars without power steering aren't going to be any easier to drive, even if you drive everyday and really work on it. Stick trix on the other hand are different. The more you practice and try them the easier they get. It would annoy me to see someone who just buys something to help them do it, when I have put time and effort into learning.

It's like a backdoor shortcut.

More on Drumstick Tricks, Twirls and Spinning here

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity