Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slippery drum sticks

User Info Menu

Default slippery drum sticks

the last two gigs my drum sticks started to slid up my hands - it was warmer in the clubs than usually.

i don't think i will like wearing gloves.

just looking for some ideas

thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: slippery drum sticks

Google search Stick Gripps (yes, with two P's). You can find them at any major music outlet.

User Info Menu

Keep a towel near and dry your hands before each song. Also, if your hands are wet you could develope blisters quite easy too...and that sucks.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    Keep a towel near and dry your hands before each song. Also, if your hands are wet you could develope blisters quite easy too...and that sucks.
    It certainly does

User Info Menu

I tried the towel but it didn't work out. Sometimes the break between songs is not long enough.

I think the Stick Gripps look good. Better than the tape. I never saw them before.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Google Gig Grips. No sticky residue.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finfandrummer View Post
    I think the Stick Gripps look good. Better than the tape. I never saw them before.
    I discovered them only a couple of weeks ago when I was trying out a few sets at GC. The sticks they gave me had the Stick Gripps on them. I bought a few and they work great. Just use a heat gun and they form right onto the drumstick. You get a nice snug fit that won't ever come loose, no sticky tape, and you don't have to switch to different sticks.

User Info Menu

Electric tape.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I find with hard playing any sort of tape just rips your hands to shreds. First try some sweatbands on your wrists, and use naked drumsticks, ones with no finish. Painted or varnished sticks get more slippery when your hands get wet.

User Info Menu

Doctor Zoggs Sex Wax. (As used by Surfers.)

I had problems with having to grip too hard to hold on to slippy sticks for years. Pro Mark Stick Wrapp works ok, but sex wax is perfect and costs peanuts.

Andy
    ==========

http://store.drumbum.com/skuA-97.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Google search Stick Gripps (yes, with two P's). You can find them at any major music outlet.
    I have that same problem with slippery sticks, so I checked out the Stick Gripps website. WOW, those are expensive pieces of shrink tubing! (Hey, I just had a total brain fart...why not try shrink tubing? Definitely a lot cheaper.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by willdrum4food View Post
    I have that same problem with slippery sticks, so I checked out the Stick Gripps website. WOW, those are expensive pieces of shrink tubing! (Hey, I just had a total brain fart...why not try shrink tubing? Definitely a lot cheaper.)
    Shrink tubing? Is that what it's called? I know when my brother-in-law saw the Stick Gripps (he owns a diesel mechanic shop) he told me never to buy it in the music shop again because he's got tons of the stuff and he gets it for pennies. I haven't gotten around to going down to the shop yet.

These things work great as grips so if it's something that can be purchased inexpensively at an auto parts store or hardware store, then that's even better.

User Info Menu

Maybe your grip is just too loose causing the sticks to slide. Let us know what works for you.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I didn't think I would like wearing gloves either ... but, I got the ones with the soft leather palm part with the mesh back (of the hand). I don't worry about slipping sticks anymore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Shrink tubing? Is that what it's called? I know when my brother-in-law saw the Stick Gripps (he owns a diesel mechanic shop) he told me never to buy it in the music shop again because he's got tons of the stuff and he gets it for pennies. I haven't gotten around to going down to the shop yet.

These things work great as grips so if it's something that can be purchased inexpensively at an auto parts store or hardware store, then that's even better.
    Yeah man, you can walk into any auto parts store and buy the 1/2" or 3/4" shrink tubing (depending on thickness of sticks.) Invest in a 99 cent cigarette lighter from your local kwik-e-mart, heat it up, and it'll snug right up to your sticks for less than $5 for a good 3 or 4 pairs of sticks. If you ever decide you want to take it off, just slice it down the middle with a razor blade, and it comes right off. Easy, Febreesey.

User Info Menu

I used to sand paper them to make them just a bit coarser than factory.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

A towel and a little bit of talcum powder sprinkled on my hands once in a while really helps me. Grips, wraps or gloves just never felt natural to me.

User Info Menu

The sticks I'm using are painted black, that may be part of the problem. I haven't had a problem with my grip in the past - I'm sure it was the sweat on my hands.

I'll sand the paint off the stick handles and try some talcum powder. I think that will help.

A bunch of great ideas from everyone.

Thanks

User Info Menu

I typically use sticks dipped in water based urethane. There are other ways noted in thread above, but I have found these "dips" (many manufacturers have versions--Vic Firth, Zildjian, etc.) to do it for me. The warmer clubs can be brutal and understand the others in the band do not always give you time to recover (wipe down, etc.). Though a word to the band may also be called for. Even if you find an answer, time to have a drink, wipe hands, always good.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

The gig grips look like they would work good, seems that making them yourself would take about 2 seconds using an old inner tube.
    Yamaha Stage Custom
    prov. 3:5-6

User Info Menu

Vater grip tape works great

User Info Menu

Just made some gig grips from old car inner tube and they work great, take some getting used to. I was wrong about the 2 seconds , it was 2 minutes. I also did the shrink tube and they still end up moving back on me alot. Will practice this week with inner tube and see how it goes this weekend. The main drawback I see from these is no spins,throws, etc., not really an issue for me though!
    Yamaha Stage Custom
    prov. 3:5-6

User Info Menu

I keep a small fan that attaches to my hi-hat stand, which helps a ton. Also, I bring and sometimes use a rosin bag (same stuff pitchers use) to keep my hands from getting too wet from sweat. On the flip side, I've had my hands dry out too (in the winter) and have had to moisten, i.e. lick my fingers or dip them in my water during a song to keep the sticks in place.
    JC-

Larrysperf Guest

Vater stick wrap works great also Ahead but it is hard to find

User Info Menu

dont Regal Tip sticks have a coating on them that beccomes slightly "stickier" as they warm up??
    Its just what ive heard
    Personally i just keep a small towel on the floor next to me to wipe my hands on, a friend of mine rubs wax on his sticks to make them grippier but i dont like the wax on my hands afterwards, it then gets on cymbals/stands etc and wont wipe off without cleaner to break it up.