Thread: Newb questions

User Info Menu

Default Newb questions

First i would like to say,great forum!
    Im new to drums...complete newbie!I was allways curious and while cruising the used for sale adds,picked up a cheap drum kit to learn on.Well it seems to be of decent quality anyway?Its the tornado kit made by mapex.For the 300 i paid for it and an extra sabian with stand,it has nice hardware.Nicer than most of the cheaper kits i looked at anyway.After lots of research i have decided to replace the heads and remaining chmbals.Which heads should i consider and do i need to replace the lower heads as well?The kit is in new condition,barely used but it does sou nd lime crap.The local drum shop will replace the heads for me and teach me how to tune them which im looking forward to!
    The bass drum is horrible!!Will a new head and port help?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Newb questions

Go for it. That information is invaluable and as the new heads stretch, you'll be able to keep them tuned to your liking.

Welcome to Drum Chat and congrats on owning your first drum set.

User Info Menu

Your bass drum probably rings a lot so replace the batter head with an Emad or Remo equivalent. Put a moleskin patch at its center for the beater to hit (as protection.) If you don't care for the sound, then port the reso. Not everybody cares for the ported sound-its main advantage is that it makes micing a kick easier.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Won't try to answer any questions because I'm in the same exact boat, being new myself. But will just say you're definitely in the right place.

This site as been invaluable to me figuring out what I need to setup my kit and especially what the best options are for upgrading cymbals, pedals, hardware, etc. I've probably asked more dumb, repetitive questions than anybody in the history of drumming and everybody's been extremely helpful and patient with me, so don't be afraid to ask questions and follow up if you don't understand an answer. Good knowledgeable group here.

User Info Menu

I'll give these a go

Quote Originally Posted by covanant View Post
    First i would like to say,great forum!
    Yeah, this is one of the better forums out there, some of the other forums I've found have sarcastic, arrogant staff, this forum tends to welcome people as opposed to judging them first off.

Im new to drums...complete newbie!I was allways curious and while cruising the used for sale adds,picked up a cheap drum kit to learn on.Well it seems to be of decent quality anyway?Its the tornado kit made by mapex.For the 300 i paid for it and an extra sabian with stand,it has nice hardware.Nicer than most of the cheaper kits i looked at anyway.
    As a Mapex user myself (I bought the Meridian Birch) I am a huge fan of both the high-end kits but also the lower end models, a friend has the Horizon Birch kit and the Tornado kits are ideal - the hardware is superb and I've founf the quality to be excellent for a "starter" kit.

After lots of research i have decided to replace the heads and remaining chmbals. Which heads should i consider and do i need to replace the lower heads as well?
    No, if the resonant (bottom) heads are OK, you probably won't need to replace them for the time being.
    I'd look towards getting replacement batter (top) heads, tho', maybe Remo Ambassadors as they give a nice punchy sound.

If you want to replace the cymbals it's up to you and it's all down to your personal preference - Stagg cymbals are good quality and cheap for a beginner then maybe go for Sabians (my choice) when you want to upgrade.

The kit is in new condition,barely used but it does sou nd lime crap.The local drum shop will replace the heads for me and teach me how to tune them which im looking forward to!
    Yeah, a good music shop will spend time with a customer and teach you the best ways to use your kit, hardware and cymbals and also how to get the best out of your drum head too.

It's all part of a drummer's life tapestry, enjoy the journey because it is going to be an interesting ride from now on in.

The bass drum is horrible!!Will a new head and port help?
    When you say "horrible", do you mean the sound?
    you might want to get a new batter head (the head the beater hits) from the stock factory-fitted one, maybe a Remo Powerstroke3 (a good, strong, punchy head, I use one on both my bass drums)?
    Remember to put on a Falam patch to protect your skin from beater strike (you get a single one with a new Remo bass head but if you should upgrade to a double bass pedal, you can get double Falam patches).

hope this explains things, PM me if you want more help.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the comments guys!Just got back from the drum shop and im glad i chose today to go,the district rep from remo was on hand today and he actually chose my heads and installed one on my tom and showed me how to tune it!!
    I was suprised at his choice?Remo pin stripes on all three toms,going back next pay for the bass drum and snare.I must say...what a huge diff.they make now!
    Having a little trouble tuning the floor tom,will try it again later.They had a nice assortment of used cymbals as well which i will need to look at.

User Info Menu

New heads could help. The kit could also be tuned poorly, but it wouldn't hurt to try new heads. As far as porting, you don't really need to do that, at least not unless you plan on micing it up pretty soon. And even then you should hold off until you really think you need to port it.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

I like ported BD heads because they offer a quick way to muffle/unmuffle your sound. Without it, it's a pain to take the reso off. I also enjoy the sound I get from the KickPort.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Welcome to dc covenant! Not a bad first kit choice. Definitely i'd try to get some new heads on, and soak up all you can about correctly tuning and you will be pleasantly surprised what you end up with.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Ok,so i just replaced the stock head on my bass drum with a powerstroke3.
    Wow!!what can i say,sounds amazing now.Only a very slight ring after a beat but otherwise im very impressed.
    My reso head is not ported,if i cut a hole and install a port can i make it better by placi ng a towel or somethin g inside,or can i make it worse?

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Covanant!

I would suggest that you leave the reso head unported for now. Give yourself a chance to get used to the new sound that you have before you go for the port. Getting used to the sound that you have will give you a chance to learn what each change gives you, before you try something else.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ok,so i just replaced the stock head on my bass drum with a powerstroke3.
    Wow!!what can i say,sounds amazing now.Only a very slight ring after a beat but otherwise im very impressed.
    My reso head is not ported,if i cut a hole and install a port can i make it better by placi ng a towel or somethin g inside,or can i make it worse?
    If by any chance you kept your old bass drum heads, that would be the one I would use to experiment with porting. Don't put a hole in your new head. Lord knows we have enough holes in our head.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

welcome to the forum, great decision starting drumming and coming here, plenty of good advice for you ^^^^^^^^^
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Have only replace
    ed the beater head,still using the stock reso.
    I was thinking of trying the red hot can trick to cut the hole and then installing a port.Maybe i'll just leave it?
    Only head left to change is the snare now.

User Info Menu

remo coated ambassador is what i use on my snare. nice dry quick snap. well thats what i like anyway. but the coated head for the snare is always best since its hit more of the time. always remember that you get what you put in so patience as a big part of drumming. espically since its so damn expensive...... lol
    OCDP VANICE SERIES BLUE ONYX
    22" bass drum
    12" tom
    16" floor room
    13" pearl piccolo snare
    14" ocdp snare

Zildjian cymbals
    20" A Ride
    18" A Crash
    18" Z3 China
    17" A Crash
    14" A Hi hats

Practice
    Vic Firth
    Heavy hitter stock pad
    REMO, IRON COBRA, PRO MARK, AHEAD

User Info Menu

I know this is an older question but i noticed nobody answered so thought i'd pitch in for what its worth.
    Firstly you've had some great advice already and you seem to be getting great results so far and you could find far worse "starter" kits than the mapex, they are very good value for money. Personally i use Evans heads, not for any particular reason i just like them so dont be afraid to try different heads etc, i find its hard to make drums sound bad, just different. as far as the kick drum i prefer to use a pre dampened batter and reso head and leave the drum empty but, when i started playing and had no money i found stuffing a pillow inside so it touches both heads worked a treat, and is still done by loads of drummers today, also dont be afraid to dampen your other drums with moongel or tape etc. Some people religiously wont dampen drums but if it works for you and you like it go for it. Theres no rules. Hit them with golf clubs if you like the noise it makes