Oh, I did!

Andy

User Info Menu

Default Re: slippery drum sticks

magnesium... lifters/climbing chalk...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I used to sand paper them to make them just a bit coarser than factory.
    Even though I'm assuming you're using an ultra fine sandpaper, doesn't that leave your hands and fingers prone to blisters?

User Info Menu

I put ahead grip tape on this morning. It works great. Have some super glue ready to make it perfect

User Info Menu

We played a gig last Saturday and I started to have the same problem. I used a towel and some powder - it didn't help. I found an old pair of Zildjian (no finish) sticks in my bag - bingo - it was like they were glued to my hands. I love the look of the black Vic Firth's but it isn't worth the trouble.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by finfandrummer View Post
    We played a gig last Saturday and I started to have the same problem. I used a towel and some powder - it didn't help. I found an old pair of Zildjian (no finish) sticks in my bag - bingo - it was like they were glued to my hands. I love the look of the black Vic Firth's but it isn't worth the trouble.
    Cool deal.........you found an answer to your troubles.

Is it only when gigging or does it also happen during normal practice sessions too?
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

go cheap:
    A. rake nails/tacks into the stick handles, you wont feel it too much but it allows the sweat to leave your hand and not stay between the wood and your fingers.

B. Sex wax (no not spooge) but surfer's sex wax for surf boards. its a putty that does not allow water/moisture to build and even if it does it repels it and gives you a custom grip for each stroke (seriously guys, mind out of gutter)

User Info Menu

Red face Re: slippery drum sticks

Gig grips look like an intelligent alternative, I'm sure you could find something just like that, without paying an arm and a leg, I'd be interested in trying to make those, and also use shrink tubing as well, I haven't played live yet, but I know that if my hands get sweaty playing video games I'm sure they will drumming.. Definately going to look into both options..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Catalyst View Post
    Gig grips look like an intelligent alternative, I'm sure you could find something just like that, without paying an arm and a leg, I'd be interested in trying to make those,
    I don't like to play without them now, made six pairs , lov'em. I am still not any good but the sticks don't travel, or move and don't have to worry about dropping one. I should post a vid of how simple it is to make them. Here is me playing live with them at church, had played with them less than a week. Actually after looking at the sticks , they are my promarks with shrink tube and gig grips, little bit of overkill. Gig grip is around my middle fingers, kinda hard to see with the poor video quality.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv0UVA9jUos"]YouTube- God of this City Drum Cam _0001.wmv[/ame]
    Yamaha Stage Custom
    prov. 3:5-6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oakforestmx View Post
    I don't like to play without them now, made six pairs , lov'em. I am still not any good but the sticks don't travel, or move and don't have to worry about dropping one. I should post a vid of how simple it is to make them. Here is me playing live with them at church, had played with them less than a week. Actually after looking at the sticks , they are my promarks with shrink tube and gig grips, little bit of overkill. Gig grip is around my middle fingers, kinda hard to see with the poor video quality.

YouTube- God of this City Drum Cam _0001.wmv

Yeah, I feel naked without them also. I just use them for my right hand as I tend to lose the stick a lot. I know that it is a crutch and an anti-technique device, but I found out that I have problems gripping with my right hand, so these are perfect for me. what did you make yours out of, an inner tube I heard you say? Not that I need any more sence I bought 2 pairs and they seem to be very durable. I would be interested in a couple of close-up pics, man.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inspired View Post
    dont Regal Tip sticks have a coating on them that beccomes slightly "stickier" as they warm up??
    Its just what ive heard
    Yea, when I was younger, I used Regal Tip rock sticks and that's why I liked them.