Thread: Ambidexterity;possible?

frquent flyer Guest

Default Ambidexterity;possible?

I'm looking for opinions on developing ambidexterity;that is the ability to use right or left hand with equal dexterity. Certainly conga drumming trains both hands but not to the level of giovanni hildago who is ambidexterous. Opinions please.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ambidexterity;possible?

I have played for years without any formal training. Through that time I have lived with and accepted my weak left hand (not to mention weak tone due to poor technique). Now with lessons and time spent on rudiment exercises over the past couple months, I am already seeing improvement in both hands....

Do rudiment exercises with one hand, and then switch hands. Go slow with exaggerated proper technique movement. As your mind & body memorize the slower speed movements, your ability limit will improve to faster speeds naturally.

frquent flyer Guest

Thanks for the great answer. I am amazed that as a right handed guitar player ,my left hand has learned to do all the chords and fingering.If I were to try to switch hands and do chording with my right hand,I couldn't do it. It seems that the left hand has a mind of its own.With drumming,I have noticed some improvement in my left hand,but I don't drum nearly as fast with my left hand as with the right.

User Info Menu

The brain a wonderful organ that is able to adapt to external demands and 'reorganize' certain parts, such as the motor cortex. This can be seen especially during stroke rehabilitation, specifically with constrainted induced and forced use of the affected upper extremity. It is possible to develop the non- dominant hand for tasks such as drumming. It will take time for the 'neuroplastic' brain to develop, along with consistent demand of the nondominant hand with exercises to strengthen the synaptic connections. Can the nondominant hand be equal to the dominant side? With drumming, I would say that probably 'yes' with regards to conga drumming, since it is not as fine a motor skill handwriting for instance.

User Info Menu

My best advice is to set up your drums like a lefty and practice like that every so often.

all the best...

frquent flyer Guest

Cool answers !!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Ambidexterity;possible?

Quote Originally Posted by SportEd View Post
    I have played for years without any formal training. Through that time I have lived with and accepted my weak left hand (not to mention weak tone due to poor technique). Now with lessons and time spent on rudiment exercises over the past couple months, I am already seeing improvement in both hands....

Do rudiment exercises with one hand, and then switch hands. Go slow with exaggerated proper technique movement. As your mind & body memorize the slower speed movements, your ability limit will improve to faster speeds naturally.
    Excellent advice!

And, as kay-gee suggested, try setting the drums up "backwards"--the larger drums on your left as opposed to the smaller ones...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck