Thread: detuning bongo heads

User Info Menu

Default detuning bongo heads

I know it preserves the heads longer, but do you really need to detune the bongo heads each and every time you finish? I like to play them intermittently throughout the day whenever the moods hits, and when I am not running after the little ones after work and during the weekends. Its kinda of a pain to tune/detune each time. How much life of the heads am I losing if I don't detune them....

User Info Menu

Default Re: detuning bongo heads

so if I keep them indoors all the time, and the humidity and heat are pretty much within a consistent range, then I don't have to detune them everyday?

User Info Menu

Cool Re: detuning bongo heads

Hey, Sean, I can give you some insight on detuning conga and bongo heads.

IF you keep your drums in one place where the temperature and humidity stay consistent, you shouldn't have to detune them. I keep three congas and a pair of bongos at my church, where I play percussion with our guitar ensemble, and the only times I have to retune (or detune) them is when there is an abrupt change in temperature or humidity.

If you're moving them in and out from one gig to the next, naturally, you'll need to detune them more frequently!

And bro', you aren't the only one who bangs on his drums when the urge hits! I keep my home bongos next to my computer right now, and my congas are within easy reach, just a few feet away. (Come to think of it, I might just do some jamming right now!)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Thanks Leedy and bongobro! Will keep my heads tuned and if they bust, then I'll just replace them with better heads. If I sense that they get too tense in the summer time, I guess I will detune them. Live and learn!

I keep my congas and bongos in the office next to the computer too! I frequently find inspiration with this chat site and you tube as well!

Happy slappin'!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    I know it preserves the heads longer, but do you really need to detune the bongo heads each and every time you finish? I like to play them intermittently throughout the day whenever the moods hits, and when I am not running after the little ones after work and during the weekends. Its kinda of a pain to tune/detune each time. How much life of the heads am I losing if I don't detune them....
    Thats one blessing the plastic heads have...they dont stretch out since they dont have natural fibers. The Higher tunned drum usualy is a problem w/ skins * I value my custom tucked heads to much & even Asian replacement skins are over priced ( for dog chew toys ) & not easy to find in stock at stores some times. You sound a perfect candidate for plastic heads !