Thread: Jazz Chops?

User Info Menu

Default Jazz Chops?

Just wanted to see who all of you thought had the better jazz chops...
    ART BLAKEY or MAX ROACH
    Feedback on life achievements, who has done more in their Jazz Drumming career? Who was the overall better player? Showman? Which of them has created more memorable and/or inspiring albums?
    Just thought I would ask...
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Cool Jazz Chops?

Tough question here (and I don't mean Davey Tough, also considered among the great jazz drummers)...

From what I have heard--and I emphasize heard, since I don't collect jazz albums--I'd give the nod to Art Blakey. Max Roach is a great drummer, but I have heard more of Blakey's work with the Jazz Messengers...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Superb, Superb stuff, love the Jazz Messengers
    But both of these drummers did play with piano vertuoso Thelonious Monk, Art for a longer period I believe
    They also both spent time recording and preforming and recording with trumpet extrordanaire Clifford Brown...
    Any more thoughts?
    DRUM NAKED!

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Did you know.......Elvin Jones' and Max Roach's soloing became the springboard for Terry Bozzio's melodic drumming and ostinato ideas? Check out Max Roach's triplet ideas on a Sonny Rollins album called "Saxophone Colossus". 1st track, "St. Thomas", ...

(jazzpolice, please avoid profanity)
    Last edited by drummer; 03-20-2007 at 06:49 AM.

User Info Menu

I checked it out, my parents had saxophone collossus buried in a stack of old vynal. Really, neat stuff.
    A couple Max Roach solo stuff you drummers might find neat or inspiring, I did...

THE DRUM ALSO WALTZES

BLUES FOR BIG SID

These tracks we see Max Roach approach the drums in a more molodic sense, which was a rare but appreciated brake from the 2nd Line New Orleans style of the era.
    DRUM NAKED!

-PerpetualFrog