Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Review

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Review

July 29, 2011 Update: See post number 23.

This is a review of a 5 piece Yamaha Stage Custom Birch drum set. I ordered this kit in Dark Silver Metallic from a dot com, on February 22 and it delivered on March 8, 2010. The purchase price was $999.00, which included a Yamaha HW-780 drum hardware pack and shipping. I received a $100 refund due to receiving a 14x14 floor tom vs. the 16x14 that was stated in the description. This brought my price to $899. Yamaha describes this kit as great for the beginner and the working professional. The bass, tom and snare shells are all 100% birch wood. The package includes the following:
    20x17 Bass, 7-ply, 7mm
    14x14 Floor Tom, 6-ply, 6mm
    12x9 Mounted Tom, 6-ply, 6mm
    10x8 Mounted Tom, 6-ply, 6mm
    14x5.5 Snare Drum, 6-ply, 6mm
    FP-7210 Bass Drum Pedal
    SS-740A Snare Drum Stand (single braced)
    2, CS-755 Medium Weight Boom Stands (single braced)
    HS-740A Hi-Hat Stand (single braced)

The hi-hat, snare and boom stands are stable and a moderate weight. They are not on the heavy side and don’t feel like they can be knocked over too easy as well. The hi-hat stand uses a tension adjustment with notches on a progressive ladder. You turn the adjustment in small increments by the click to add or decrease tension. The tension adjustment is made of plastic, which from a longevity standpoint may cause concern. The snare stand also has one plastic part, the drum lock adjuster, which makes its operation very smooth. The rest of these stands and other hardware appear to be pretty much bullet proof. Yamaha includes memory locks for most of its hardware. This is helpful when setting things up after a transport. The mounted toms and boom arms can easily be set up exactly how they were previously positioned without the need for tweaking things. All the wing nuts in the lightning bolt shape is a nice touch too.

I wasn’t happy with the included bass drum pedal. To me it seemed light. I wasn’t able to adjust it to a feel I was comfortable with. I didn’t give it time to get used to it and replaced it with another model.

The tom tom mounting system is extremely versatile and makes it easy to position the toms in the desired position. They also have a heavy duty appearance that looks great above the bass drum. This mount has a spare hole that will accommodate other hardware. The mounting parts fixed to the toms are secured by two bolts through the birch shell. Per Yamaha, this is affixed at the nodal point, which allows the drums to vibrate freely for maximum sustain.

Out of the box, I replaced all batter heads and the bass resonate head as well. I found the drums to be fairly easy to tune. The drum sizes of this fusion kit may be smaller than some other configurations, however it does not have a small sound.

The sound, look and price point of this drum set make it a 5-star kit in my opinion.

Last edited by areFish; 07-29-2011 at 10:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Review

That is awesome. Thank you for posting.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Great review areFish!

I agree! I have been playing for more years than some members have been alive and I personally think that my Yamaha SCBs are the best sounding set of drums I have owned..nevermind cost!

P.S. I find the kick pedal to be super smooth and decently powerful albeit a tad lightweight. I am using my 780 HW with my CCs.

Awesome!!
    Last edited by drumhedd; 03-17-2010 at 08:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review areFish! It always nice to get a firsthand perspective on the kits.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Nice review! How do you like the 20x17 bass?
    Matt

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Review

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Nice review! How do you like the 20x17 bass?
    Thank you for all the feedback. I really like the bass drum. One reason is I'm 5'6" and the mounted toms sit nice and low for me. Another is the sound. I am using EMAD / EMAD2 heads and a rolled towel touching both heads. I have the batter tuned just high enough to avoid the loose head or paper sound.

Larrysperf Guest

I just picked up a snare stage custom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    I just picked up a snare stage custom
    Did you get the birch shell or steel?

Larrysperf Guest

all Birch as I wanted it to go with my set all Birch. It came today and must say Im very surprised how good it sounds. Oh I have 2 metal snares so this completes my snares

User Info Menu

Great review, areFish! I also use the fusion sizes with the 20" kick, and am extremely pleased with my SCBs, especially with new heads. Like you, I also changed out the kick pedal - I already had a Pearl 2000C on my TD-12, so simply swapped it for the Yamaha.
    I got together with a mate of mine who plays a Birch Custom Absolute in similar sizes recently, and we were both hard pressed to hear much difference in sound - amazing, given the price differential.
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grazza View Post
    Great review, areFish! I also use the fusion sizes with the 20" kick, and am extremely pleased with my SCBs, especially with new heads. Like you, I also changed out the kick pedal - I already had a Pearl 2000C on my TD-12, so simply swapped it for the Yamaha.
    I got together with a mate of mine who plays a Birch Custom Absolute in similar sizes recently, and we were both hard pressed to hear much difference in sound - amazing, given the price differential.
    I read a review on musicradar (UK) that compared the SCB 12" tom with an RC9000 (Recording Custom) and was also hard pressed to detect a difference!

That says something! I love my Stage Custom birch!!

User Info Menu

Nice review. I recently got a Tour Custom shell pack (so no stands) but have to agree on the quality, sound, and ease of tuning. One of the the most impressive things to me was the tom holder off the kick. It's just bulletproof and super easy to get where you want. FYI I bought a Pearl (I think) mini boom arm to go in that extra hole and it makes a great extra cymbal stand, just have to make sure the pipe is the right size and the cymbal isn't too heavy.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grazza View Post
    A little late getting back to you on this. Thanks for the feedback. They do sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Nice review. I recently got a Tour Custom shell pack (so no stands) but have to agree on the quality, sound, and ease of tuning. One of the the most impressive things to me was the tom holder off the kick. It's just bulletproof and super easy to get where you want. FYI I bought a Pearl (I think) mini boom arm to go in that extra hole and it makes a great extra cymbal stand, just have to make sure the pipe is the right size and the cymbal isn't too heavy.
    Thanks Kaosotis. I had a splash on a boom arm in that same spot for awhile. I noticed some ringing when the pillow / blanket free kick was played. Have everything off of the kick now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    A little late getting back to you on this. Thanks for the feedback. They do sound good.

Thanks Kaosotis. I had a splash on a boom arm in that same spot for awhile. I noticed some ringing when the pillow / blanket free kick was played. Have everything off of the kick now.
    You know I just noticed the same thing the other day as well! I think it depends on the cymbal that's on there.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Great review!!!

I'm a long-time yamaha user and my first set was stage custom way back before they went all birch. Now i'm primarily using a set of Birch Custom Absolutes but I've got my eye on a 3-piece (15x18, 8x12, 14x14) pack in Natural Wood for use as a portable gigging kit. Thanks for the pics and thoughts!

User Info Menu

Your reviews never fail us, great looking set! I just love Yamaha's hardware!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Larrysperf Guest

I think if I didnt play Ludwig it would have to be Yamaha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SladeGT40 View Post
    Great review!!!

I'm a long-time yamaha user and my first set was stage custom way back before they went all birch. Now i'm primarily using a set of Birch Custom Absolutes but I've got my eye on a 3-piece (15x18, 8x12, 14x14) pack in Natural Wood for use as a portable gigging kit. Thanks for the pics and thoughts!
    I got to hear a BCAN kit at a local shop several weeks ago. That thing sounded amazing. You got an awesome kit there.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexGoodwin View Post
    Your reviews never fail us, great looking set! I just love Yamaha's hardware!
    The single braced stuff they make is hardy and light.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    I think if I didnt play Ludwig it would have to be Yamaha
    I think everyone is making good stuff these days.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by arefish View Post
    i got to hear a bcan kit at a local shop several weeks ago. That thing sounded amazing. You got an awesome kit there.

The single braced stuff they make is hardy and light.

I think everyone is making good stuff these days.
    ditto

User Info Menu

Wow, areFish. I can't believe this thread is over a year old. Of course, thinking back, you did have some quiet time from the forum. But still, time really flew...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Wow, areFish. I can't believe this thread is over a year old. Of course, thinking back, you did have some quiet time from the forum. But still, time really flew...
    Time stands still for no one as they say. Now that I have played this kit almost daily for going a year an a half I need to update my review. I don't want to bash the kit because it is great for the price point, but with that price point are some shortcomings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    Time stands still for no one as they say. Now that I have played this kit almost daily for going a year an a half I need to update my review. I don't want to bash the kit because it is great for the price point, but with that price point are some shortcomings.
    Like what? They are one of the best deals for birch kits right now I think. What are some bad things you have noticed?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Review Update: The Yamaha Stage Custom Birch still remains in my opinion a great drum set and should be heavily considered when shopping for a drum kit in this price range. The flawless lacquer finishes on these kits is a nice touch and prone to compliments. I have owned this kit now for almost a year and a half. I've gone through 4 sets of batter heads and two sets of resonant heads on the toms. The tom batters I have tried have been Evans G2 clear, G plus coated, EC2 SST clear and back to G2 clear. The only tom reso heads I have used are G1 clear. The heads I did not like on this kit were the EC2 SSTs. They killed too much resonance to my ears, especially the 10" tom. The kick drum heads I have used are Evans EMAD2 clear, Remo Powerstroke Pro clear and EMAD clear for the batter. The two EMAD variations were my favorite. Kick reso included the EMAD reso and stock. Both do the job well.

Yamaha utilizes their YESS mount system for this kit. I really like the look of the YESS mount system. It is highly functional allowing you to position the rack toms in almost an infinite number of positions. It is easy to get the toms just where you want them and they hold well. I've never had to re-adjust a mount due to slippage. The YESS mount coupled with the 3-hole receiver is very versatile. The 3-hole receiver can be easily removed from the kick drum mount and placed in a cymbal stand allowing off-set tom mounting at no additional cost.

The tom mounts are drilled into the toms shell using two bolts. These are drilled into the shell at the nodal point, which is the least vibrating part of the drum shell. What happens when the tom is mounted is all the weight of the drum is focused on those two bolts or those two bolts and the ball clamp hex rod if the hex rod is mounted flush with the shell. The weight of the drum as it hangs from the ball clamp causes the tom to choke (more pronounced for the 10" tom) and it changes the tuning of the drum causing some wonky overtones. I'm not sure if this could be problem solved by tuning the drum while mounted. I like tuning on a flat soft surface to quite the opposite drum head while I tune so I haven't tried tuning while mounted.

In order to keep this kit sounding good, this kit has required some time investment by me to make it happen. The pitch at each tuning rod both top and bottom needs to be about spot on to avoid unpleasant overtones. Once this perfect balance is achieved you need to enjoy it while you can due to the propensity of the drums to de-tune. Lug locks or tight screws are probably in order here, but I haven't tried any.

The 14 x 14 all birch FT does not tune deep enough for my liking. Attempts to tune it low causes the lugs to buzz. Removing the lugs and packing them with a soft material might problem solve this. This drum was delivered with a small nick in the batter side bearing edge that appears to have been filled with wood filler. That is the only such bearing edge flaw I have ever noticed on this kit.

The 20 x 17 kick drum and toms do not project as loud as I would like. This shouldn't be an issue in mic'd situations however my perception is the kick and toms could be louder.

User Info Menu

Wow that think looks shweeeeet! I just saw a guy play those today at my churches fall festival, sounded beautiful! I don't know what mic he had on his kick, but I could feel the THUMP in my chest, and the monitors were not turned up that much either. The loose tuning of the kick reso made me feel really weird after watching it a while lol
    I'm pretty certain they were these. The snare looks almost exactly the same (really nice sounding) toms were really nice and deep; really sang!
    I should look into this kit, it's really nice looking and sounding..
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Ive played the Yamaha Stage Customs ( Birch ) furnished by the gig and I was impressed. I tuned up the kit to my liking and I worked 3 gigs on that kit and never had to retune anything. I checked the tuning before the gig and at the end of each set and nothing changed. I own a 1992 Yamaha Power V Special 8 piece kit with all power toms and 2 - 22" kicks and my newest get is a 2010 Yamaha Oak Custom 5 piece shell kit. Yamaha's drums are just spectacular drums. Their hardware is top notch Pro quality and they not only look marvelous...they sound as good as they look. You might find drums that sound as good...but I dont think you will find any manufacturer whose drums sound "better". Congrats on picking up a FINE drum kit...We are all happy for ya...~~~!!!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!