Thread: cool? or lame?

User Info Menu

Default cool? or lame?

How cool or lame is it to get one of those LP Matador flag bongo drums? If you are neither, nor from Cuba or P.R.?

Is it or ?

frquent flyer Guest

Default Re: cool? or lame?

not too cool

User Info Menu

Just because you're not from Cuba or PR doesn't mean that you don't appreciate the culture and the music associated with those countries. I don't find it lame at all.

frquent flyer Guest

Harder to sell,come the time but if it makes you happy;then Why not?

User Info Menu

Cool Re: cool? or lame?

I wouldn't mind playing a Puerto Rican-flag-design conga or pair of bongos, since the Caribbean culture has contributed to hand drumming as we know it. The Puerto Rican flag design, as interpreted on the LP drum, is cool! I don't think I'd be ready for a Cuban-flag design unless and until relations between Washington and Havana improve--

Even if they are hard to sell down the road--and I'm not sure I would sell them!--I think it'd be cool to have them!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

The reason that I asked was that I was looking at the LP site and am considering buying a higher end bongo set (probably the Valje) if the price is right. I saw the Cuban and P.R. flag bongos and originally wondered: "who buys that?". But as time went on they have started to grow on me, as the bongo drum originated in Cuba, and P.R. is a hotbed of salsa; to me these would celebrate the history of the drum, as noted before.

Leedy- is there a place on the site that I can customize bongo? It looks like the options are conga drums, but not successful plugging in bongo.

With regards to value; perhaps later if the Cuban line is discontinued and relations with Cuba do change in the next decade or so, could they actually be worth something? Of course the sound and fun of playing is the most important thing; these are not commodities. I would think that the sound of those flag Matadors would be the same as the others. Just thought I'd ask. Does anyone out there own a pair?

Thanks for your responses!

Sean

frquent flyer Guest

Canada has good relations with cuba.There are flights to Havana every day from Toronto. The us gov. should ease up a little. After all in cuba there is great music and a lot of cool vintage cars.

User Info Menu

Agree with FF. Don't let your politics get in the way of your music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    How cool or lame is it to get one of those LP Matador flag bongo drums? If you are neither, nor from Cuba or P.R.?

Is it or ?
    Flags of any one nation...will promote that limited national centric image, it makes others focus on that rather than on the music you play & makes some feel left out. Personaly, I used to wear the flags of many nations of the Americas & I related to them as cultural roots to the music I love...which is actualy Global. But they were temporary stickers that were removed with some " Goof off " Flg art and most art on drums is just sales ploys...marketing gimmics. Consider...if it gets scratched & marred, how do you make it look clean & new again !? I prefer instruments that are easy to care for & fix & have better resale value. A flag logo limit your options. Just the fact that you ask if the idea may be lame...hints that it may be seen by others as being lame too. If I needed a flag to identify me or my culture...it will have to be many flags. I prefer not to pigeon hole myself & still remain a mystery, let the music performane touch the audience...not the subject of what flag is on my drum. By an inst. for its qualities & practical applications that serve you....dont serve it ! ?