Thread: creaking

User Info Menu

Default creaking

I recently bought a bunch of LP Salsa congas (finally received the quinto!). I noticed that with the two I have been playing with for the past few months (conga and tumba), they creak a little at the bottom when I tip them.

Is this normal? It is probably the bottom metal rim on the wood, I'm thinking. To my knowledge the sound is not affected. Just asking, basically, about the workmanship of the drums. Do they all creak a little? I bought the rubber feet to raise the 2 up while I tip the quinto now.

Thanks for replies!

Sean

frquent flyer Guest

Default Re: creaking

I get creaking too from one conga;don't know the source or remedy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sean valdepenas View Post
    I recently bought a bunch of LP Salsa congas (finally received the quinto!). I noticed that with the two I have been playing with for the past few months (conga and tumba), they creak a little at the bottom when I tip them.

Is this normal? It is probably the bottom metal rim on the wood, I'm thinking. To my knowledge the sound is not affected. Just asking, basically, about the workmanship of the drums. Do they all creak a little? I bought the rubber feet to raise the 2 up while I tip the quinto now.

Thanks for replies!

Sean
    Yes bro, its usualy just the metal base at the bottom. Tighten the phillips mounting screws & if u want to...add a non slip rubber to the very bottom to avoid slips, scratching floors & it lets the drum resonate better. You can fill the gap between the metal base & drum shell w/ some nylon caulk...or simular product. ( if u have more perc ?...send em to me..its cool...I been doing this simce 1972...fixes , repairs etc. Ernesto P.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto Pediangco View Post
    Yes bro, its usualy just the metal base at the bottom. Tighten the phillips mounting screws & if u want to...add a non slip rubber to the very bottom to avoid slips, scratching floors & it lets the drum resonate better. You can fill the gap between the metal base & drum shell w/ some nylon caulk...or simular product. ( if u have more perc ?...send em to me..its cool...I been doing this simce 1972...fixes , repairs etc. Ernesto P.
    ps...the rubber feet may be a bit unstable. I use c ocktail service trays to give a reflective surface for congas, like having a portable wood floor...over carpeted stages etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    Check for loose part's tighten bolts from side plates ,handle remove skin look inside see if any separation in fiberglass if wood,check wood from inside that it's proper glued.Remove bottom rim check for vibrations if a tad loose put cloth tape around rim to cushion it . Normally skins will make cracking noise's when tuning that because the skin is new an is stretching.It like when you stretch in morning you hear a crack same thing in this case dry skin falling in place.Also improper tune can cause this cracking noise.
    I've been reading these post for a while...but was not a member untill lately. Leedy 2 has the best experienced replys to all Latin drum subjects I have read. Well Done Leedy2 ! ... Ernesto P.