Thread: Vintage Gon Bops

User Info Menu

Default Vintage Gon Bops

I have been reading all the posts on the percussion forum, so i know many of you are playing them, and there seems to be some real experts here, who can give me some info and advice.
    I have a set of two, 11" and 10 1/2", and am looking for the third, a requinto. The 9 3/4" is quite common, but I think GB also made a 9", and possibly something in between. GB made drums in a lot of sizes, and several models. But when you buy on the net, you never know what you get. So far I have been lucky. Two top of the line drums, in original and very good condition, and I intend to keep it that way. Comments are welcome.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vintage Gon Bops

Cat, you are right when you say that there are some real experts here in the hand drumming arena. Unfortunately, I am not one of them, but I congratulate you on being fortunate enough to get exactly what you were looking for on the internet.

One thing I will have to caution you about is that Drum Chat does not allow buying and selling on it's site (Forum Rules: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...tions-489.html).
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    I have been reading all the posts on the percussion forum, so i know many of you are playing them, and there seems to be some real experts here, who can give me some info and advice.
    I have a set of two, 11" and 10 1/2", and am looking for the third, a requinto. The 9 3/4" is quite common, but I think GB also made a 9", and possibly something in between. GB made drums in a lot of sizes, and several models. But when you buy on the net, you never know what you get. So far I have been lucky. Two top of the line drums, in original and very good condition, and I intend to keep it that way. Comments are welcome.
    Well...depending on the music style you apply your conga playing to...In general , Quintos are the higher tuned lead solo drum in an ensemble of drums ( as for instance in Cuban Rumba ). But in a band context, Mid range & lower tuned Tumbas...are more appropriate for tunning range ,volume & a comfortable playing surface. Many Conga/Tumba sets average ( approx sizes w/ variations from manufactures ) 11 to 11 3/4" for lead conga ( tuned @ middle C on a piano ) and a 12 to 12 3/4 " Tumba ( tuned @ G below middle C on a piano ) These sizes allow wide tunning range, usualy have 6 tunning lugs to more evenly dist. tunning stresses and help fine tune the drum. Certainly a smaller conga or requinto may be tuned lower but the resonance & volume are limited. A large drum can be cranked higher in note, but may not have the character POP as a Quinto. Head size, the type and gauge / head weight of the head, Shell material ( softer woods, med. hard woods , Fiberglass ) all sound different just as they would in a conventional drum set. My favorite combo of ban gig sizes are 2 congas & a tumba or conga & tumba...I may occasionally utilize a quinto or a requinto...depending on the rhythmic & music style. Having 2 same sized congas has the advantage of same sized heads & hard wares...so my lead congas has the best head ,crown rims & tunning hard wares, and a older broken in head that has warmer tone...is the second drum. Same sizes means relative same resonance & volume potential. BUT...the shells are just resonators...the Head is the source of the tone & tunning. Quintos tend to have less resale value as well ( except for particular collectibles ) * rawhide heads vs plastic heads is relative to sound quality, Raw hide heads are usualy made on molds & not well pre tuned when mounted so may be stretched tighter across the drum at points & less so at others. Harmonic tunning at all tunning lugs may result in warped hardware...so try to find a happy medium between fine tunning & even plumb & level hardware alignments. De tune higher tuned drums when not in use...reduce the stress on hides ,shells & hard wares & the heads will last longer, sound better for years ! Ernesto P.
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 08-05-2011 at 01:43 AM.

User Info Menu

I dont buy older Gon Bops since I have repaired too many & why would I want a drum designed in the 50's that seldom if ever corrected thier flaws ? BUT...I love the ones I bought just before the company sold its toolings/machines & back stock to " Timba ". They are great sounding drums & have a wide variety of sizes & materials/models to choose from. The weak points were bands ( if urs has bands ~ were aluminium & prone to stretching out so did not reinforce the shells interity. With out a reinforcing wire on the interior shell near the sound edge, the shells may go out of round...as well as the crown & skin wire of the head. This made replacement heads difficult to refit properly & tunning was affected as a result. If you notice the Badge w/ Gon Bops logo...if it has the same Crown bage as the New Gon Bops from DEW ( now GP's was purchased by Sabian Cymbals ) then it was an improved version of Gon Bops w. a steel reinforcement band but a sharper sound edge ( like a snare drum ) which I do not like ...so I re beveled the edge to a happy medium for comfort to my hands, ease of the head to tune & travel over the edge and to assure myself of uniformity & level accross the sound edge. My always make sure the bands remain tight to the shell, I do not let the bottom of the drum bang on floors etc ( i added my own rubber bumpers for bottom edge protection & for shell resonance ) The weak link in GB's congas compared to many modern congas is the tunning hardwares. There is little clearance between metal tunning haredwares so any bending or warping of these parts, can strip the tunning lugs, uneven tunning can warp the crowns & skinwires of the head, any warping like this may cause the shells to go out of round as the wood flexes to match the uneven stresses. Thats why we always detune a drum from high torque tunnings & avoid extremes in temparature * humidity. ( treat it like a priceless Piano ! ) The New GP's California series are very NICE ! Some improvements were made and the new crowns may look traditional but are a hybrid of traditional crown w/ a 1/2 round profile special extruded metal stock that was used also by " Sol " drums & original by " Fat " congas of Santa Barbara Calif. Very strong & very easy on the hands ! Vintage ( means OLD designs...complete with design flaws & years of posible abuse & hidden repairs from those flaws & abuses. They are only worth what YOU or someone else is willing to pay. If I had Old GB's now...I'd simply fix problems, restore the function & beauty in every way I could & care for them as personal use instruments & I'd be very happy to do so. But...for me..its a personal nostalgia,a hobby & a theraphy of sorts. If u love em...U love em...and thats it. If you want a more practical drum of Quality, superb function, low maintainence & great resale value...look elsewhere. Enjoy.... Ernesto P.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto Pediangco View Post
    I dont buy older Gon Bops since I have repaired too many & why would I want a drum designed in the 50's that seldom if ever corrected thier flaws ? BUT...I love the ones I bought just before the company sold its toolings/machines & back stock to " Timba ". They are great sounding drums & have a wide variety of sizes & materials/models to choose from. The weak points were bands ( if urs has bands ~ were aluminium & prone to stretching out so did not reinforce the shells interity. With out a reinforcing wire on the interior shell near the sound edge, the shells may go out of round...as well as the crown & skin wire of the head. This made replacement heads difficult to refit properly & tunning was affected as a result. If you notice the Badge w/ Gon Bops logo...if it has the same Crown bage as the New Gon Bops from DEW ( now GP's was purchased by Sabian Cymbals ) then it was an improved version of Gon Bops w. a steel reinforcement band but a sharper sound edge ( like a snare drum ) which I do not like ...so I re beveled the edge to a happy medium for comfort to my hands, ease of the head to tune & travel over the edge and to assure myself of uniformity & level accross the sound edge. My always make sure the bands remain tight to the shell, I do not let the bottom of the drum bang on floors etc ( i added my own rubber bumpers for bottom edge protection & for shell resonance ) The weak link in GB's congas compared to many modern congas is the tunning hardwares. There is little clearance between metal tunning haredwares so any bending or warping of these parts, can strip the tunning lugs, uneven tunning can warp the crowns & skinwires of the head, any warping like this may cause the shells to go out of round as the wood flexes to match the uneven stresses. Thats why we always detune a drum from high torque tunnings & avoid extremes in temparature * humidity. ( treat it like a priceless Piano ! ) The New GP's California series are very NICE ! Some improvements were made and the new crowns may look traditional but are a hybrid of traditional crown w/ a 1/2 round profile special extruded metal stock that was used also by " Sol " drums & original by " Fat " congas of Santa Barbara Calif. Very strong & very easy on the hands ! Vintage ( means OLD designs...complete with design flaws & years of posible abuse & hidden repairs from those flaws & abuses. They are only worth what YOU or someone else is willing to pay. If I had Old GB's now...I'd simply fix problems, restore the function & beauty in every way I could & care for them as personal use instruments & I'd be very happy to do so. But...for me..its a personal nostalgia,a hobby & a theraphy of sorts. If u love em...U love em...and thats it. If you want a more practical drum of Quality, superb function, low maintainence & great resale value...look elsewhere. Enjoy.... Ernesto P.
    Gon Bops ( now owned by Sabian ) has released a retro version of the Mariano model w/ black hardwares & perhap more models w/ chrome that may match your drums...will arrive soon? I dont see any upgrades to this drum & it looks like the Asian bison heads in a picture from the Namm show. I suggest U can find at least GP's sizes u are looking for as add ons ?

User Info Menu

IF you have vintage original " International hardware model Gon Bops, you may find that some of the hard ware lug plates on the shell have bent and the saddles that the hooks are attached to are out of alignment, causing hook tuning threads to be damaged. I have an easy remedy...for those willing to correct the design flaw. First...remove the lug plates off the shells & anchor each one in a vise, use a steel rod inserted into the lug saddle ( a " U " shaped part that is welded to the lug plate ) and bend it back into the correct original position which is aligned , and allows the hook to tune w/o damaging threads. Also, using the vise w/ non scratching padding ( leather perhaps ) and bend any warped plates back to original shape which fits flush to the conga shell. Now...in the future, the damage may re occure...so to insure that it remains in place & is actualy stronger for all tuning range tensions, Find appropriate sized heavy duty metal washer that fit over the saddles through the center hole of the washer. The washer should be bent to match the curved shape of the lug plate. WELDING is now required in the center to fuse the washer to the saddle. Additionaly, if you can drill from the back side of the lug plate ~ ( one top & one bottom center line )You can now tack weld the washer to be secure to the lug plate to forever secure the proper position of the saddle and keep the plate from bending as well. Now ...you grind off the extra weldment excess untill the plate is flush and will fit the drum like it was originaly. At this time...the prep work for either re chroming or powder coating....or painting should be done. smooth surfaces & bevel the sharp edges so that the chrome or paint will not chip off the sharp edges. After the prep work is done cleanly...you should also have the parts media blasted / sand blasted or wire brush wheel finished in preparation of chroming or painting. Once the parts are done, I recomend changing the mounting bolts to a new / higher grade bolt including wide & thick backing washers or custom made backing plates. OPTIONAL replacement of the original U saddles to a more modern style which is stronger & has more clearance for alignment & strength issue is also recomended. I am currently retrofitting the hardwares on 1970's era Oak requinto & quinto. Early Gon Bops & Valje congas all suffered from crude, inadequate & poorly designed hard wares. However, Gon Bop mounting hole locations & lug plates are better and stronger than the Valje design. Valjes are too small & the 2 mounting holes which are in line w/ wood grain & stave seams are to close ( can crack the drum shells ) to distribute the stress loads of high torque tunning. If you wish to buy NEW Gon Bop hardwares...the " Timba Percussion hardwares are actualy Gon Bops...after Gon Bop sold its original back staock & tooling to Timba. Gon Bops made in Asia also share the same hole locations as the old vintage Gon Bops but the mounting bolts are larger, requiring redrilling the hole locations carefully. Good Luck... Ernesto Pediangco
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 08-24-2010 at 11:37 AM.

User Info Menu

I recently aquired 2 old Gon Bops Mohagany * international model hardware~ 10 1/2 quinto " & 12 1/2" tumba that I will restore. There are at least 4 to 5 separated seams on each ( easy enought to re glue w/ superior adheasives, but I need to rebuild all the lug plates on the Quinto at least...if not both drums. The heads are still sounding good but I will make new skin wires & add new heads after the shells are ready. I never cared much for the soft mohagany shells which dent & scratch too easily...so after these shells are solid, I re do the bearing edges and add an interior " Alma " re inforcment ring...I will bring the shell to a Seattle area Boat restoration shop to fibergleass wrap the shells & eliminate the soft aluminium bandings, then... gel coat the shells with a color coat. Gon Bops had models like this & this type of restoration hides all the dings & dents making the drums look brand new ! The Quinto crown has oxidized & peeling chrome ( typical lame chrome from GB's ) so I am re bevelin the sharp edges of the crown to be more comfortable & the other edges are slightly beveled to keep future chrome or powder coats from peeling. So I will have more GB quintos than I can use...and what I am needing is the 1996 era GB tumbas w/ the Cuban model hardwares...to match my set of Cherry red stain hard grain w/ black stained soft grain. It was very particular to the 1990's era. Anyone know of any drums matching this ?

User Info Menu

I am rebuilding a set of Mohogany and a set of oak GB, 1970s era at this time. What type wood...color and style hardwares are yours that you wish to match ? I do have the original product catologue from 1970's gon bops showing all the out fits, colors etc...and a more recent catolog from the 80's that showed all the gel coat models w/ tear drop crows etc. I am very familiar w/ vintagfe Gon Bops, Valje, Fat Congas, King Kongas etc. Ernesto Pediangco @ Face book has my vintage photo collection. I will soon scan & post the vintage cat's that I have...as a resource material for all of us drum lovers Keep ur eyes peeled ! Ernesto P.
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 08-24-2010 at 12:06 PM.

User Info Menu

I am rebuilding a set of Mohogany and a set of oak GB, 1970s era at this time. What type wood...color and style hardwares are yours that you wish to match ? I will be posting scaned copies of my vintage GP & Valje product catologs for reference material to add to my vintage latin drums photo gallery / editorial captions on my face book page c/o Ernesto Pediangco. I have been playing & refurbishing, rebuilding Latin & American drums/drumsets,etc since 1972. But unlike drummers who adore nostalgic drums...I examine all the design flaws & have based my designs to create superior designs based on the misgivings of many vintage & modern designs. I consider American made drums as American collectables as well as being musical instruments. Even hand crafted custom drums, carry over the design flaws and are pron to all sorts of hardware failures. Some of these are improved in Asian models...but no one has redesigned to create a superb design yet. Thats my role for the future. Ernesto Pediangco

User Info Menu

Hi Ernesto.
    Nice to hear from you. I have a mismatched set that functions well together. An oak 10,5 sixties, and a mahogany 11 seventies with international hardware. So I am planning to get a 9,75 that matches any of them. I have been heavily into percussion buying lately, so that will have to wait. Have enough good drums to keep me happy, and when I get around to the GB quinto, I will have all the drums I need. Want!
    cat

User Info Menu

Hi Ernesto.
    Nice to hear from you. I have a mismatched set that functions well together. An oak 10,5 sixties, and a mahogany 11 seventies with international hardware. So I am planning to get a 9,75 that matches any of them. I have been heavily into percussion buying lately, so that will have to wait. Have enough good drums to keep me happy, and when I get around to the GB quinto, I will have all the drums I need. Want!
    cat
    Good for you ! I think its cool that you can collect the drums you want & enjoy which helps preserve these vintage American collectables. So often...people do not care for them & they become rare to find in playable condition. I like to save drums from the garbage heap lol & give them new life. A friend has a late 70's oak GB w/ tear drop crown & the oak band on the shell. It is a 14" head super tumba. I would love one like it. The one he has sounds cruddy...because the head is to thin & not correctly mounted so over tones do not allow you to focus the tuning, but a new head would make this drum sing in its own tonal range. You never know what old gems will appear !

User Info Menu

Hi Ernesto.
    I see we agree on how to take care of "vintage American collectables". My GBs are in good and original conditional, and they are going to stay the way they are, with the scratches and dents. They will probably sound better when I change the original skins. But the original skin on my Palisades Patato 9" is so good that I dont dare to change it.
    Any day now a Palisades mahogany 71 bongo will arrive by post. It seems to be in near mint condition, with new skins.
    Since we are talking vintage American, I also have an old GB bata. Sounds the way you would expect, and then some.
    One very nice thing about these old drums: The whole collection of drums I have mentioned in this post have cost me about the same you would have to pay for one new top quality conga, and some even cost more.
    cat

User Info Menu

Hi Ernesto.
    I see we agree on how to take care of "vintage American collectables". My GBs are in good and original conditional, and they are going to stay the way they are, with the scratches and dents. They will probably sound better when I change the original skins. But the original skin on my Palisades Patato 9" is so good that I dont dare to change it.
    Any day now a Palisades mahogany 71 bongo will arrive by post. It seems to be in near mint condition, with new skins.
    Since we are talking vintage American, I also have an old GB bata. Sounds the way you would expect, and then some.
    One very nice thing about these old drums: The whole collection of drums I have mentioned in this post have cost me about the same you would have to pay for one new top quality conga, and some even cost more.
    cat
    Yeah...I had a complete set of GB Oak Batas...w/ a layer of Clear fiberglass over them. I wish I kept them...I dont care for the smaller LP design Batas made of CRAP wood from Asia. Lp once make a great Fiberglass Bata set w/ colors in Gel Coat. Now...Meinl uses the same shell molds & has a unique tunning system. Valje once made..and now remakes the same Batas,bongos, congas as Valje once did...but under a new name ( from Ralph Flores ~ Son of Valje drum maker Tom Flores ) called " Revolution drums. They have not corrected the design flaws though....they just copy the old look & same materials. I actualy prefer to refurbish old drums, but correct the hard ware weaknesses so they are improved for performance...not just restored to look original. Currently restoring a set of Mohagany GP congas & Oak GB quintos.

User Info Menu

Its Resolution not Revolution.

User Info Menu

Actually I have played various namebrand newer congas and found they do sound great in most cases. I do like some of the drums with the so-called "comfort rims" = easier on the hands while practicing for sure.
    But I have to say......I have not found any drums out there that are any sturdier made or sound any better than my Valje Tumbadoras I bought new in 1979 (compete set including bongos) . The aged 1/4 sawn stave Red Oak is very nice. I've taken good care of them & there. However, was one crack developing in the SuperTumba a couple of years ago but I carefully successfully repaired it. I also took on the job of totally refinishing the drums. It took a long time = a few months, but was well worth it. I did that because I wanted to repair all the little dints-n-dings that appeared over the 30+ years.

I'm posting this because, while there may be design flaws in some older drums, these older drums in some cases do have a lot of good & sought after qualities not to mention the history & sentimental value some attach to these drums.

I have posted my Valjes here in the past & I won't do that here right now but if anyone wants some high quality photos of my drums for any reason I would be glad to answer emails.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Hi. I am new to this but I was wondering if any Gonbops experts might know if these Gonbops are rare or valuable or what. I don't know how to indert the picture into this post so I have made them my profile pic. Are you able to see them?

User Info Menu

Hi, welcome to the board! The gon bops in your picture were called "gongas", yes they are pretty rare and valuable. An odd design, but very cool, they look like they are in great shape!

User Info Menu

I am a fellow Gon Bops lover. I understand what Ernesto is saying but the tones from these old tubs can not be equaled by LP. Of course one needs good skins or I prefeer Remo Fiber Skyn. I have been able to find old odd sizes and adapted these heads for many of my vintage congas.

I have close to 20 Gon Bops and i would love to have the ITXXL 14.25" in the International Teardrop or the Vodoo style.

I have the Oak and Mahogony styles and I prefer the Mahogony but the Oak definately has its place. I had back surgury so the light Mahogony tubs and great sound is an asset.

Over 1/2 of my Gon Bops have needed some type of repair so this is not for someone who wants a "Plug and Play" type of setup. I like to thinnk of my Gon Bops like a high maintenance girlfriend. Lots of work but well worth it.

Jerry

User Info Menu

I personally love Gon Bops and think they are among the best mass produced American congas EVER! (Opinion only)

LP makes particle board Rubberwood congas. Try to find "Siam Oak", it does not exist because it is a marketing trick. Yes these drums are very very durable and they are easier to find parts and heads for. No disrespect to any of the many LP owners (I am one of these too).

If it is tone and distinct vintage sound you are looking for then Gon Bops and Valje are excellent choices. The Gon Bops are not for everybody because they are not the "plug and play" type of conga. They need upkeep and I have needed to perform repairs on 1/2 of my set of Gon Bops. These are like a high maintenance girl lots of work but it can be well worth it.

I have 20 Gon Bops and I would love to have a Gon Bops 14.25" XXLT Tumba to complete my set. I have every other size, Gongas, Oak and Mahogony models. My friends think I should start a museum but I need to keep playing them and restoring them. I think that I am keeping the heritage alive by restoring these old pieces of musical art out of the landfill.

The problem was the glue but the wood is excellent and the tone SOOO SWEEEET. The congas of today just do not compare in my opinion. Unfortunately Accountants not Musicians make the corperate models available. Often a pearson can buy 2 or 3 used congas for the price of 1 new conga.

Don't be afraid to roll up your sleeves and work that thing!

Keep it real and kep it fun.

Jerry

User Info Menu

Hi. Does anyone have any experience with the Alex Acuna Gon Bops? They have finally brought some to a shop here in New Zealand and I was very impressed with their look. Could not say much about the sound as they had synthetic heads and I had to play them in the music shop where the reverberation from all the drum kits and cymbals and snare drums or whatever did not allow you to listen to them propertly. The hardware looked really stylishly designed but I wonder if it is sturdy enough as I have heard some complants about the new Gon Bops hardware. If anybody can recommend them or not I would appreciate it. Cheers.