Thread: practice session

User Info Menu

Default practice session

i'm not taking any lessons so i was wondering what's a good way to practice
    i was thinking since there are 40 rudiments, should i do 1 min of them each for total of 40 min and do other stuff with the rest of the time?
    does that sound good? or is 1 min each not enough?

p.s. what do u guys do with ur thrones?? mine just keeps sliping down if i make it higher. no matter how hard i tighten the screw it still slips down. my weight is around 140pound so i'm not really heavy

User Info Menu

you should probly get a new throne if that ones defective.

a great practice book to use is syncopation, very simple but it helps when you master it all. do each rudament for at least 10 minutes and then move on. don't push yourself to do things you can't especially when it comes to double bass, it'll just sound like crap.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I disagree, you should push yourself to do things you can't. Otherwise you wouldn't learn anything. I think I know what you mean though, don't overreach when you start learning. Heaps of people get a kit and think they're automatically John Bonham, and get really discouraged because they can't play like that instantly.

The trick is to know how much to push yourself by.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Yes, but within reason.
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Well personally, I'm working on those 40 rudiments you mentioned, they help a whole lot, not just your speed, but your timing, fills, and your overall knowledge is expanded greatly. What i do is learn, 4 rudiments a week, and practice those for like 10 minutes each day, and once you have those 4 rudiments down, you can start building your speed up.(and remember Quality is a whole lot better than, quantity). what i mean by that is, don't just practice the rudiments and say, oh well i know i how do that one pretty good, make them sound clean and smooth, and then you can move on to a faster tempo using a metronome. Increase your speed by 10 BPM each time move up to a different speed.

So learn 4 new rudiments every week, work on one for 10 mins each, which is a total of 40 mins a day. But remember, if you don't have those four rudiments down and smooth by the next week, take another week and practice the same ones over again. Remember, you have all your whole life ahead of you, don't rush though those rudiments to fast, make e'm count.

User Info Menu

here is an wicked site for those 40 rudiments
    http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.html

User Info Menu

I would put some music u like on in headphones and play along. I find it good practice

User Info Menu

I find when you can relax n focus on one exercise, make variations of it. If just only do the one exercise you are limiting your possibilities. A single paradiddle has four ways it can be played - normal, reversed, inverted and inward-outwards. ( look at "Stick Control" by George Lawrence Stone) Any experienced player will tell you this plus Ted Reed's Syncopation are THE essential instruction books. But I also recommend playing along with CD's n records (with a good pair of headphones) as this will help to develop a sense of groove and timing. Also, and you'll hate it a first, practice with a metronome.Sure, listen to your favourite artists, but if you want to be a bit more serious and professional, LEARN EVERYTHING, LISTEN TO EVERYTHING and become a sponge, soaking up everything. This means pushing yourself, and SLOWLY develop your physical endurance as you do so. Also, divide a typical practice session, work on reading new and unfamiliar material, play along to some familiar grooves, and make it fun. When I teach, the fun factor is important too. But FREQUENT practice is the key, don"t cram practice all in one day.