Thread: For all looking for the best set on a limited budget

User Info Menu

Default For all looking for the best set on a limited budget

I read threads all the time about the best set to get if money is limited and I would like to share my many years of experience trading drum sets with everyone. First there are the low end sets....there OK . Then there are the mid level sets and some are very nice and sound good but can still be high priced it depends on the money you have to spend. And the used high end market this is where I really like to shop but, again it depends on the money ! And now for the best market for someone wanting a nice set for a small amount of money...the vintage market !!! There are high end vintage sets out there for deals if you look ! And many are going to be very unique and have a sound that is hard to come by even with high end new sets !! Just look at this slingerland set I got for a deal and after doing some research I found that this set was made only in 1979 is 3 ply maple and has an oak veneer finish ! It still had the original heads on so all I have done to this set is change heads and a little cleaning ! I took it to the local music store and we played it next to a maple absolute set and they sounded very much alike of course the MA set cost several times what I have in this set !! So all of you looking for the best budget set look at the vintage market and you may find the "killer" your looking for !!

E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: For all looking for the best set on a limited budget

Gott know what kinda deal you got? How much did you get it for?

User Info Menu

Great thread, 2slow!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Nice drums.. Also good advice ..
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

Yeah, but it's soooo ugly (I lie, I lie...)

User Info Menu

I agree with you 100% 2Slow, the vintage market is really taking a hit right now, and some really great kits can be found for a decent price. A vintage kit is going to have a sound unlike anything new on the market, the wood has had many years to age. The sound isn't for everyone, and doesn't always work well for all genres, but if you're after that warm woody tone, vintage is the way to go. Vintage drums also hold their value and appreciate at a pretty good rate, whereas those new mid range kits for the same price will decrease in value the minute you take them out of the store.

User Info Menu

Interesting thread and info..........I was always under the impression that vintage sets were extremely expensive.

I have not been looking but now out of curiosity I might just look for myself and see. Thanks for passing on your findings 2s.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Interesting thread and info..........I was always under the impression that vintage sets were extremely expensive.

I have not been looking but now out of curiosity I might just look for myself and see. Thanks for passing on your findings 2s.
    Well, they can get very expensive, especially in collector condition. However, a good player's condition kit by any of the big names Ludwig, Rogers, Gretsch, Slingerland, etc. can be found for under $1000 in most cases. And right now the economy is especially good for buyers. Once you get sucked into the vintage world you start to learn what to look for and what pieces bring in the big bucks. For instance 14x14 floor toms bring in big money and 18" kicks can be very pricey. Some wraps/finishes are much more rare than others and prices are effected accordingly, blue, red, silver sparkle are usually the most common as well as WMP, each brand has its different rare/sought after wraps.

User Info Menu

Very nice set and sound advice. Thanks Gretschhead!

ThePloughman Guest

And never, never, never, ever, never ever ever never, drill a vintage set for pearl tom arms and mounts. The gods will be displeased.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    And never, never, never, ever, never ever ever never, drill a vintage set for pearl tom arms and mounts. The gods will be displeased.
    Yup, this is the golden rule of the vintage world. Modifications are a big NO-NO! And when buying, always remember any modification from original condition decreases the value drastically, I've seen lots of sellers try to pass off the mods as "hardware upgrades".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    This I now know, but never thought much about it back in 1979 when I converted my BD to a double Ludwig tom holder.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I also agree with 2S, obviously...it just takes a little elbow grease and patience..but the results far exceed the cost paid, Plus its history man history...even if its not your live playing set.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

You are right, vintage drums are the way to go.

I've gone back and forth between new and vintage and I always find myself returning to vintage kits.

New kits have there advantages as far as having heavier duty hardware and everything is new and pretty, but they lack history and character.

In my opinion, not only do vintage kits sound better, but they look way cooler and ofcourse retain there value.

There are too many drum companies that make the same product, that sound and look alike.

They just don't make them like they use to.