Thread: How fast till...

User Info Menu

Default How fast till...

Hey guys, just have a question. Im practicing my rudiments, just for about 3 weeks now, so im just wondering how fast i need to do a rudiment so I can move on to another one, or should i just pratice all the rudiments i learn eveyday but just spend less time on each individual one as i learn more? for example im practicing:

single stroke
    double stroke
    paradiddle
    Double-paradiddle
    triple paradiddle
    pardiddle-diddle
    flam
    Flam Accent
    FlamTap

and i pratice all of 9 these rudiments for one hour or so and i spend an average of 6 minutes on each rudiment, so if i learn say.. 20 rudiments ill be spending 3 minutes on each rudiment instead of 10 minutes.

what do you guys do?

User Info Menu

I spent ages on my rudiments today. Trying to clock them at each speed I could do them. Try Here

Basically you should aim to get your rudiments to godlike speeds. Yes, there is a limit on what you can do physically, but that shouldn't stop you trying to reach those speeds. I'd say you never perfect a rudiment, cause there's always a tempo that is faster.

Warm up with rudiments, try to get better, but don't spend all of your time consumed by them. You have to have fun practicing as well.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

ok cool thats what i do, just list the tempo beside each rudiment

single stroke:190
    double stroke:180 bounce:
    paradiddle:185
    D-paradiddle:180
    t paradiddle:180
    pardiddle-diddle:170
    1-10 stroke:*

flam:120
    Flam Accent:?(twice)170
    FlamTap:? (once) 180

i use that site too, i guess great minds think alike

User Info Menu

When I took private lessons (way back in time), my instructor gave me 4 or 5 out of the "stick control" book and had me practice them for a week. The ones that I didn't have down-pat, I'd redo for the following week - before we'd move on to the next 4 or 5. As far as the examples below; I would say, have them solid at least 120bpm. Remember that they all should sound the same (LLRL, RRLR, LRLL, RLRR, LLRR, RRLL, LLLR, RRRL, LRRR, RLLL, RRRR, LLLL, etc. just like the single stroke, LRLR). That's my opion, anyway.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

thanks for the info bro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    ok cool thats what i do, just list the tempo beside each rudiment

single stroke:190
    double stroke:180 bounce:
    paradiddle:185
    D-paradiddle:180
    t paradiddle:180
    pardiddle-diddle:170
    1-10 stroke:*

flam:120
    Flam Accent:?(twice)170
    FlamTap:? (once) 180
    That's what I do. It helps alot.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

wow are you serious? i thought i was the only one!

User Info Menu

be sure you can squeeze any spare moment in. I even tap em on steering wheel when indicating at the lights! The ticking makes a steady metronome and I go through paradiddles, flams, slow drags, anything that I can do as a hand drummer. What about one handed taps on practice pad whilst eating breakfast on the go?? Just maximise your time, you'd be surprised.

User Info Menu

i always do my rudiments or a drum beat when ever i hear anything of a steady ticking noise! its in my blood now