Thread: Help needed!

User Info Menu

Default Help needed!

Hello there, I was wondering whether anyone could help? I recently bought a Gretsch Catalina Jazz kit and am having a few issues with tuning it. The Evans factory heads seem serviceable but I'm not getting a great sound from them, in fact there are what seem like minute holes around the edges on one. If anyone with the same kit can recommend better heads (including resonant ones) that would be great, there are a lot of overtones yet I can sense the drums can sound good as the initial response has good body to it.

In addition to this the snare sounds great without the strainer on, but is a little dry and unresponsive when it's applied. It's my first experience of a wooden snare, I've got a 1960s Acrolyte one which always sounds beautiful and sensitive across a wide range of dynamics form the rim to the centre, even though some of the snares are a little damaged. I was wondering whether the rather thick clear plastic strips used to attach the snare to the Gretsch drum have something to do with the 'deadness'. My Ludwig has strong nylon cord.

Apologies for the length of post, it's difficult to describe and obviously you can't hear what I mean! I've read some pretty critical reviews concerning heads and tuning for this kit, especially the snare which is seen as the weak link, it's all I could afford at the time and the construction of the drums seem sound for its price and I managed to get it for £300.

Any advice gratefully received.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help needed!

Welcome to Drum Chat Sideman!

From your description of the sound of the snare, I am assuming that the head with the "minute holes around the edges" is on the snare, and that sounds like it's an Evans HD Dry head. If so, you might want to try a more open sounding head like a coated G1 or G2 head, depending on how much sustain you want.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for getting back to me Pastor Bob, unfortunately the tiny holes I describe are flaws in the head and just near the bearing edge! The snare head is fine though and the sound of the drum played without snares applied, it's just the dry, brittle and papery response when they're on that concerns me and points to perhaps a problem with the way they sit against the snare head. It may be the plastic strips pressing against the edges that are 'deadening' the response, it's not very sensitive or crisp. I will check out the heads you recommend anyway. Anything you know about the Catalina kits would be welcome as I see you play Gretsch...

User Info Menu

Well, thinner the heads, the more sensitive sound you achieve. It also depends on the type of music you want to play.

Tom toms
    From my personal experience, I can recommend you Evans G1 heads, clear for open sound and coated for a bit muffled sound. Both sound great. Check them out on YouTube.

Snare
    I have no idea what strips you are talking about. Is it a ring at the bottom side of your head? If so, it might be Evans Genera head and yes, the ring is responsible for deadening and dry sound.
    I would recommend you Evans G1 coated or Remo Emperor head. Both are universal, many drummers playing different kinds of music use them.

Resonant Heads
    As I said, thinner the heads, the more sensitive sound you achieve. Evans Resonant Glass are fine and for the snare, you might choose one of Hazy heads. There are Hazy 200, 300 and 500. 200 is the thinnest and 500 the thickest.

User Info Menu

Try loosening your snare wires a bit, it sounds like they are choking the drum.

User Info Menu

Yep I was just going to say, try loosening your snare wires, but NR beat me to it.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Budadek, your English grammar and spelling is far superior to many of the natives here believe me. Thanks to you and everyone else for your replies, I will have a fiddle tomorrow, it's a bit late for the neighbours now!

User Info Menu

I play the Gretsch Cat Club kit, and I have G1 coateds all around. I still have the factory resos on there, but if I replaced them, it would be with G1 clears, or Evans Resonant heads. The mahogany snare drum sounds better with the top head tuned a lot lower than you normally tune a snare (maybe 75 - 80 on a DrumDial) , and keep the strainers kinda loose for a little fatter sound. This isn't gonna be bright like a metal snare would be, and it is certainly quieter.

At first, I thought the ride tom and floor tom sounded real vintage 'boingy.' Fortunately, my son has played this kit out a few times and I got to hear them out front; they sound totally awesome from the audience! You don't hear the boing, just pure solid tone. Get out in front of these drums with another drummer playing them and you will hear how great they sound.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .