Thread: Tuning for the studio

User Info Menu

Default Tuning for the studio

Had a weekend in the studio recording a demo.

Last time I did that was over ten years ago and at that time I really liked my drums sounding dead and dry. Nowadays I really like to get as much natural sound from the shells as I can and I love the way my drums sound during practice.

So this weekend we were at the studio and the resonance of my kit was causing major problems from the get-go. The sound guys only knew one solution: tune it to the wet-cartboard setting. Once run through the the system it sounded good in the mix and on the monitors, but the actual sound of the toms brought tears to my eyes (and not the good kind)...

Does anyone here have any tips on how to record a resonant drum or how to tune a drum for recording without killing all resonance?

(what I did know was to tighten the resonant head quite a bit, while loosening the batter.)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning for the studio

Get a better producer.

User Info Menu

why should you worry about how your drums sound in the booth,,, your there to record, as long as they sound good on the recording be happy...
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I record all the time and I want my drums resonant. A nice full ring out of the toms. The more the better. Your drums are always going to sound different and hopefully better on the recording playback from what you think they sound like at the kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    why should you worry about how your drums sound in the booth,,, your there to record, as long as they sound good on the recording be happy...
    One practical reason is that bringing my drums tuned correctly for recording will leave more time for the actual recording. For next time I will probably tune as much resonance out of them as I can, but surely there must be room for some resonance?

Replacing the producer might work, but it's not a realistic option here :D

I guess I'm just trying to figure out is if I can bring resonant drums to a studio and what other options there might be besides tuning my kit dead.

User Info Menu

I don't understand why the engineer didn't muffle

User Info Menu

i hate it but u have to tune for different rooms. a room with padding is completly different than a garage. as much as some people here hate i have moon gel, sometimes its used, sometimes its not.

User Info Menu

when i recorded my tracks i used a pearl export, 8,10,12,13,16,18 20 bass..and i had powerstroke 4s on all the tom heads.. i really liked those heads cuz they take out a lot of unnecissary ring and provide a pretty nice attack, leaving the natural sound of the shell. i liked em, i liked how the kit sounded for recording, but i suppose its also the kinda music u play. i play pretty fast metal stuff so, a quick decay turns me on..idk what ur lookin for
    Last edited by drmn4life; 04-09-2010 at 03:15 PM.
    12x5 Pork Pie Lil Squeeler Snare
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal w/red offset cam

www.facebook.com/thebattleofmidway