Thread: Help With Off tempo Band Members

User Info Menu

Default Help With Off tempo Band Members

I try to set a tempo, and I'll admit I'm not perfect, but I can keep it pretty steady. However, even when I am playing at a near perfect tempo, the rest of my three piece band (guitarist/singer and bassist) seem to be off tempo a lot of the time. Should I try to adjust to their tempo? What should I do?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help With Off tempo Band Members

Lock up with bass player and don't worry about the rest. It is a real pain if your bass player is all over place with his timing.

User Info Menu

should i change my tempo if he is off tempo or should I wait for him to adjust to me?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmhudak17 View Post
    should i change my tempo if he is off tempo or should I wait for him to adjust to me?

You're the drummer, he should follow you.

User Info Menu

More to the point, the drummer and bass player form the band rhythm section. Working together, you need to drive the rest of the folks along. If you are both out of sync, makes it a challenge all round.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

I try to set a tempo, and I'll admit I'm not perfect, but I can keep it pretty steady. However, even when I am playing at a near perfect tempo, the rest of my three piece band (guitarist/singer and bassist) seem to be off tempo a lot of the time. Should I try to adjust to their tempo? What should I do?
    The difference between NOISE & MUSIC is Organization ! I share your pain...I have to endure musicians & drummers who have more testosterone than they do taste ! Basicly...make it an issue...to establish the ideal tempo to count of the particular tunes Write down Beats per Min...as a guidline & count off the tunes always ( rehearsals & performances ) the same...to internalizes in your heart & how you all feel it while its pretty much the same all the time. Now...also include the dynamic effect you wish to add decidely..not hap hazzadrly. Are U all going to play in the GROOVE ( right in ideal time ) or on the EDGE ( a bit forward momentum ) or in the POCKET ( a bit behind the the grrove...like bluesy funky ? Most musicians will agree forward momentum at unnoticable increments can drive a tune and create natural excitement but not feel like rushing ! The tension of people playing fast & slow at same time just looses groove & sounds amaturish. As a percussionist, I have to feel my counterparts & find a happy medium where my part gels with the overall groove and the forward moving excitement is intentional & is common knowedge between all of us on stage or in studio. Its easier to do w/ 2 or 3 percussionist be cause we lean on eachother to keep our timming honest...and the is true with a rhythm section ~ or should be ! Good Luck ! take the responcibility to make it an issue & to excersise solid timing within accepable margins. Human time sounds more musical than metronome time but you need a foundation for the framework & embelsishments to sound solid as a whole. Ernesto Pediangco

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ScreaminSGs View Post
    Lock up with bass player and don't worry about the rest. It is a real pain if your bass player is all over place with his timing.
    I agree with Scream, lock in with the bass player. Everyone else has to follow you two. This is an unwritten law....IMO.

User Info Menu

Of course you are going to think its them and they will obviously think its you. Its best to get someone outside of the band to make the call, it helps to keep the peace lbetween band members ater on down the road.

The more you guys play together the tighter you all will be. It will get to a point where everyone will know what to expect from the other members.

Best of luck.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

the drummer and the bassist set the tempo, the guitarsist are supposed to play along with you, sadly sometimes they dont, and it sounds like its the drummers fault when its the guitarists, just work on the tempo at pratice, if one of the members keeps playing off tempo tell them to speed up or slow down, never do thiis at a gig though

if you guys pratice playing at the right tempo youl get it

i had a similair problem at out gig i played one songs insanely fast, luckliy the band played the same tempo, but this song was way too fast, another helpful thing is too record your band, thats how i realzied i played too fast on some songs
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

I and my band during rehearsals never play without a metronome, it makes the rest stick to me.

Also, we record ourselves and point out every mistake someone does. With no mercy, "you're a bit late here, you are total crap"
    It works, but you know, we are a bit weird :D

User Info Menu

Well if your bassist goes up of time a lot, tell them to practice with a metronome. :p
    - Zack