Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Good Are You?

User Info Menu

Default How Good Are You?

Can you just listen to song parts and just be able to play them?

User Info Menu

Default Re: How Good Are You?

Depends on the song.
    Matt

User Info Menu

As Yohin said above, depends on the song.

For some complex parts--or parts where you are not able to clearly pick out what is going on to produce the sounds just from the recording, I sometimes check live videos of the drummer in question playing the song. That can help me figure it out. Also, some just require some sitting at the drum throne and running through the song to get the right feel.

Don't think it is just a question of whether you are good or not. On the listening thing, perhaps helps if you have a good "ear". It is also a question of how much you put into pulling apart and learning a particular song (if cover) or how much thought you put into creating a part for a new song (if original). Of course, also has something to do with experience and training (if brand new to drums, some things may just be outside one's ability, for now...)
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

I can get pretty close to a song,but to be perfectly accurate nothing beats reading the sheet music.

User Info Menu

The more you play the better your ear will get. Don't think your not a good drummer or don't have potential beacause your having a hard time picking up a drum part. It's all a part of the journey.

User Info Menu

I agree with the others, learning how to play a song by ear doesn't tell how good you are, not to mention that it is very subjective. It does, however, tell you how much experience you have in learning new songs. For example, if you are auditioning for a cover band, this skill is certainly near the top of the list. Personally, I've done a lot of this in the past. Here is how I approach it (note that every one has their own method):
    1. figure out the structure of the song (eg., intro, verse, chorus, verse,...etc.).
    2. figure out the beats/rhythm for each section.
    3. figure out specialty fills that you need to play exactly and also those that can be improvised.
    4. If possible, I try to profile the original drummer by listening to his/her other work. I found that when doing covers, it helps to kind of mimic the original drummer to get the correct mindset.
    Last edited by nio; 03-22-2010 at 09:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Again, depends on the song.

I mean I can't listen to a Lamb of God song and just play it without practicing HEAPS.

I always learn the structure, and the basic groove. Pretty much everything else, fills, little fiddly bits I improvise
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I'd like to think so ,but no... not even close! Personally I focus on staying on time most and just try not to butcher it totally.
    Yamaha Stage Custom
    prov. 3:5-6

User Info Menu

Depends on the song. Most normal 4/4 rock. Prog and metal, Rush, Tool, Lamb of God, etc, only parts of without extensive practice, and then some more practice.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

dave0549jv Guest

I think i've got a decent ear. I can usually pick a song apart and understand most of it. I'm not quite good enough to actually reproduce much of it yet though...

User Info Menu

I can listen to it and figure out what's going on pretty easily but that doesn't mean I can always play it haha.
    Right now I'm working on New Fang and Go With the Flow. With new fang I know exactly whats going on in the fills but I'm having trouble playing them. And I know Go With the Flow but I tense up while playing the beat because its faster than I'm used to so I'm trying to stay relaxed.

User Info Menu

I am absolutely horrible at listening to a song and being able to replicate the beat unless it is relatively simple. Even then I can't do it 100%. What I am able to do though is hear all of the different elements clearly and write them down as sheet music. With sheet music in front of me, I'm spot on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    I agree with the others, learning how to play a song by ear doesn't tell how good you are, not to mention that it is very subjective. It does, however, tell you how much experience you have in learning new songs. For example, if you are auditioning for a cover band, this skill is certainly near the top of the list. Personally, I've done a lot of this in the past. Here is how I approach it (note that every one has their own method):
    1. figure out the structure of the song (eg., intro, verse, chorus, verse,...etc.).
    2. figure out the beats/rhythm for each section.
    3. figure out specialty fills that you need to play exactly and also those that can be improvised.
    4. If possible, I try to profile the original drummer by listening to his/her other work. I found that when doing covers, it helps to kind of mimic the original drummer to get the correct mindset.
    Excellent advice !

As a listener, I dont want absolutely hear the drummer play the covered song note for note but I want to "FEEL" the song and your emotion as a drummer can bring that to cover bands. Sometimes adding some of its own spices to the mix can elevate the songs to a new level.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

I make a habit out of playing along to songs I don't have time to practice for, and as a result it's generally a hit or miss in my vids. I will hear the guitar and bass playing, and I will base what I play off of those sounds- only sometimes am I following note for note what the song actually is. I love the challenge of not knowing and making it work as I go, and not following something. Recording what you practice is easy, but can you record something you have no preparation for? Can you play under that kind of pressure? It's a great skill to develop, especially for those bands that expect you to be able to do certain things without thinking.
    Last edited by Russ; 03-23-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I make a habit out of playing along to songs I don't have time to practice for, and as a result it's generally a hit or miss in my vids. I will hear the guitar and bass playing, and I will base what I play off of those sounds- only sometimes am I following note for note what the song actually is. I love the challenge of not knowing and making it work as I go, and not following something. Recording what you practice is easy, but can you record something you have no preparation for? Can you play under that kind of pressure? It's a great skill to develop, especially for those bands that expect you to be able to do certain things without thinking.
    Playing along to your MP3 or the radio is probably the best way to learn how to play something.

If you get the basic beat and fills down you should be pretty good to go......most of the drummers you listen to never play the song the same way beat for beat anyway.

Cool thread.....kinda reminds me of a fiacovaz style thread.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

HEY! I made a cool thread

The reason I asked this on the forum, is I am just learning to play. And there are certain songs, or just parts of songs that I enjoy hearing, so I am trying to mimic that in SOME of the practice sessions.

And just listening over and over to try and develop the ability to decipher what I am hearing.

I KNOW, that I PERSONALLY, learn by memorizing. Which probably would drive most GOOD drummers nuts. But, it is how I have always learned things. I was one of those students that totally aced spelling, reading, things that required memorizing and retaining those things, but sucked at the stuff that required figuring it out. Like algebra.

The things I have approached by feel are horseback riding/training and dirtbiking. And yes, I have become quite good at those things.

Should I approach drumming more like that?

I have a good friend who can listen to a song once or twice and can make anyone believe he is playing it just like it is recorded. And he admits that he can't read sheet music. He just is very talented in that way. I think I frustrate him when I ask him to break things down for me:(

You can't "copy" someone who plays like that. So, how do I learn from him without driving him insane?

User Info Menu

Chewgravel, It kind of sounds like we have similar situations. A good friend of mine has been playing drums for thirty years, he is a mentor to me but not really a teacher. I've pretty much taught myself. We'll get together and I'll play in front of him (at first very nerve racking but became comfortable with it) and I'll ask him what he thought. With him watching he has been able to pick up bad habits I've had in the past and then I know what I need to work on. Another thing I like to do is just watch him play along to songs, this helps alot because you have the visual to go along with the audio. Good luck!!!

User Info Menu

depends on the song
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

no. actually probably if it was something simple like ringo starr in the beatles i might be able to do it. i think it would be really good for my reading and listening skills if i try listening to a song, transcribing it, and then playing it more often.
    BREAK THE RECORD!

"Only the mediocre are always at their best"

"All im going to do is go on and do what i feel"-Jimi Hendrix

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chewgravel219 View Post
    HEY! I made a cool thread

The reason I asked this on the forum, is I am just learning to play. And there are certain songs, or just parts of songs that I enjoy hearing, so I am trying to mimic that in SOME of the practice sessions.

And just listening over and over to try and develop the ability to decipher what I am hearing.

I KNOW, that I PERSONALLY, learn by memorizing. Which probably would drive most GOOD drummers nuts. But, it is how I have always learned things. I was one of those students that totally aced spelling, reading, things that required memorizing and retaining those things, but sucked at the stuff that required figuring it out. Like algebra.

The things I have approached by feel are horseback riding/training and dirtbiking. And yes, I have become quite good at those things.

Should I approach drumming more like that?

I have a good friend who can listen to a song once or twice and can make anyone believe he is playing it just like it is recorded. And he admits that he can't read sheet music. He just is very talented in that way. I think I frustrate him when I ask him to break things down for me:(

You can't "copy" someone who plays like that. So, how do I learn from him without driving him insane?
    My question to you which your answer will help me to size better your situation is before you'd play any music instrument, how were you listening to music, you're aware that music has certain form ? Like when you're reading a book, it has an introduction, development and conclusion, all in different chapter, the same happen in music, it has an intro, verse, pre-chorus, chorus, bridge, break and an outro. This knowledge is the foundation of your playing, knowing music form and listening to music with a differerent ear, listen to drums but also listen to all other instruments and also listen the singer and lyrics, listen and notice all interactions between musicians, feel the pocket, understand why this has been played and why not that, etc... Music is an art form, music should considered a way of communication, a language form just like we would talk to each other.

Now this being said, for beat or pattern break down, I'd suggest that you and yourself only try to learn or emulate to your best knowledge & abilities the drum track, even if you have to playback infinitely. Practice your rudiments and accents, this will help you learn pattern that when you'll hear you will immediately know how its been done and played. Dont dismiss the impostance of rudiments (even though I occasionally do too ). Begin to learn note value and reading partition sheet then take instructional books and persue your exploration into the magnificient world of rhythm.

Good luck and keep
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

User Info Menu

i take a song and get the basics of it and improvise to make it my style I fortunately have a good ear so play around with it and be creative

User Info Menu

I learned drums hitting pillows along to cd's, so most songs I can more or less play by ear. But as everyone else has said, depends on the song.

User Info Menu

I was aware songs had "parts", but I was not aware of the relationship btwn components. Like the guitarist and drummer.

And actually, the more I listened to music, trying to hear the drums, I began to realize how it relates to the guiarists. Something I never noticed before

And I DO practice the rudiments. ANd that helps, for sure. Because I can now recognize them in songs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chewgravel219 View Post
    I was aware songs had "parts", but I was not aware of the relationship btwn components. Like the guitarist and drummer.

And actually, the more I listened to music, trying to hear the drums, I began to realize how it relates to the guiarists. Something I never noticed before

And I DO practice the rudiments. ANd that helps, for sure. Because I can now recognize them in songs
    You're in the good path though !!!
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:

User Info Menu

As said previously, it depends on the song. I have a pretty good ear, and can at least recognize what is being played, even if I can't reproduce it.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi