Thread: Alesis Troubles

User Info Menu

Default Alesis Troubles

Hello all, I have inherited the job of playing drums at church.(converted bass player) We have an Alesis dm5 set and lately when you first turn them on and play about every 5th or 6th time you hit the bass drum it triggers the #2 tom. Needless to say this is very annoying, after about 3 hours or so it gets better. My question is this, Is the drum module about to crap out or is there something else that could cause this? Since it gets better after it warms up I thought it could be a diode or something but I wanted to consider all options. Thanks in advance for the help

User Info Menu

Default Re: Alesis Troubles

have you tried unplugging the 2 tom? it could be a trigger problem.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

You could try contacting Alesis directly and see if they might know where to look.

User Info Menu

Yes, if I unplug the #2 tom it stops, Does this mean I have a trigger problem then? I have played a couple of times with it unplugged just so it won't happen. I will try to contact Alesis. Many thanks for all of your help and advice.

User Info Menu

i have a yamaha e set ,, so im not sure about alesis , but you should be able to adjust the sensativity on the number 2 tom . do you have the manual? if so,, you can find out how to adjust it there.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Manual ummmmm! MIA Gonna try to download one online. I tried to figure out how to adjust it on my own but it became obvious I was going to need the instructions. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat oakly-88! Let us know how you are making out with the problem, and I agree with drnez that contacting Alesis might help you isolate the problem.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

It might even be vibration somehow triggering the pads,i have the same problem,my kick sometimes(very often)triggers my ride/second crash and my ride/crash triggers my tom2.I have a different module and kit,but id say try to change your kick position.I have my setup on a piece of plywood with glass wool underneath,and the kick almost nailed to the ground,so that might be the kicker for me.Whats your kit on?
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Spot #68

In Soviet Russia,sticks break you!

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forums oakley. Few things I would try- 1) check cable, it might be faulty. 2) Adjust crosstalk and make sure the sensitivity isn't too high. 3) Google and find the online manual for it, and read it over to see what it says. 4) Let it warm up for awhile before you play it, some modules need warm up times just like with a mixer/mic setup.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I would try to isolate it to a component. Switch the pads around to see if the problem follows, then switch the cables around to see if it follows. To at least attempt to narrow it down or focus specificlly where the problem is at.

User Info Menu

All Great suggestions, I am going to try them all. Thanks again for the warm welcome!!

User Info Menu

Make sure the pad and mount are tight. A loose pad/mount can cause what you're experiencing.

User Info Menu

Ok guys here's the latest. I adjusted the crosstalk this morning and that "seems" to have fixed the problem. Now that I have downloaded a manual off the internet I have all kinds of things to play with so here's to experimenting. Thanks for all the help and keep your fingers crossed.